Splitting the yarn

JudyKlep

Question

2 answers to this question

What kind of yarn are you using?  Some types are splittier than others, like bulky roving yarns for example.  Some people think Caron Simply Soft is splitty, I haven't really had a problem with it but everyone's technique is different.

Are you a brand new crocheter?  You may just have to develop a technique to avoid that, not very helpful advice from someone long distance, sorry.  Nobody ever taught me this, but I have a sort of very subtle twisting motion that I do without thinking that helps the hook-pulling-yarn-thru process go smoothly.

Have you been crocheting for a while, and are using a new hook?  There are 2 styles of hook 'heads', inline (like a wooden dowel with 1 rounded end with an angled saw kerf a little bit beyond the rounded end, and tapered (starting with the dowel with the slit but a pointer 'nose' and tapered  front to back and side to side.  I learn on, and still use, tapered hooks; I have only had splitty yarn problems in my beginner days when I bought an inline hook.  I am NOT saying that tapered are better but I think the hook style you used to develop your muscle memory may make it harder to use the other style hook.  Google 'inline versus tapered hooks' and you will see a lot of different opinions.