Help with reading intermediate pattern

crochet_claire

Question

Hello, first time posting here! This is the second pattern I’ve read, and I’m kind of confused. 

Here is the excerpt of the pattern: 

foundation using 5mm (UK 6 – US H8) crochet hook and A, 10 ch, ss to join.

round 1: 3 ch, 2 tr (dc), (3 ch, 3 tr (dc)) 5 times, 3 ch, ss into 3rd ch. (6 clusters).

(part I need help with) 
Round 2: 1 dc (sc) between ch and tr (dc) from previous round, 2 ch (this all count as 1 tr (dc)), 1 tr (dc) between st sp, ((2 tr (dc), 3 ch, 2 tr (dc)) into corner ch sp, 1 tr (dc) between each of next 2 tr (dc)) 5 times, (2 tr (dc), 3 ch, 2 tr (dc)) into corner ch sp, ss into 2nd ch. (6 tr (dc) in each section.)

Could anyone help me understand round 2 in this pattern? I am a beginner at reading patterns so I’m sorry if it’s a dumb question! I interpret it as 3 double crochets, then chain 3, then 3 double crochets all in the same chain space of the previous round and then repeat that group in each of the 6 different chain spaces but I have no idea if that is right. 

thank you!

6 answers to this question

This is horrible and confusing to follow.  I had to get paper out and rewrite it.  First had to get rid of the tr and go with dc to eliminate all the extra ( ).  Then I have to break it down in small steps

1 sc between ch and dc from previous round, 2ch-----counts as 1 dc

1 dc between stitch space

[(2dc, 3ch, 2dc) into corner ch sp

1dc between each of next 2 dc] 5 times

(2 dc, 3 ch, 2 dc) into corner ch sp

ss into 2nd ch

Hope this helps.

(  ) all the stitches within these are worked into a chain space

[  ]  work the sequence of stitches within the brackets a total of 5 times

Edited by bgs

Welcome to the 'ville!

First, the word cluster usually means: some number of stitches incompletely made into 1 stitch, and then joined all together at the end as you finish the last stitch of the cluster. Incompletely made means stitches are worked just short of the last 'yo and pull thru' and then the next stitch is started; at the end; so you will be accumulating loops on your hook-- example if it's a 3 dc cluster, you will have 4 loops on your hook just prior to the last step, an the last step is yarning over and pulling thru all 4 loops (there is always 1 more loop on the hook than stitches made before that last pull-thru).

In a pattern they are usually called 'cluster' or 'cl' and specifically defined in the 'special stitches' section - example if all the pattern's clusters are 3 stitches combined into 1, it might be just 'cl'.  If there are 3-dc clusters, and also 5-dc clusters, they should be uniquely named so that it is clear which one is meant.  

"round 1: 3 ch, 2 tr (dc), (3 ch, 3 tr (dc)) 5 times, 3 ch, ss into 3rd ch (6 clusters)."  If you read this as conventional patterns are written, there are no clusters whatsoever there.  When a conventionally written pattern just names a series of plain stitches and doesn't specify where to put them, they are 1 after the other into separate stitches in the row below.  So this line is saying (skipping the chains because they don't go into stitches) "make 1 dc into each of the next 17 stitches".   But that's not what it means.

I think what this line is meaning to say is: ""round 1: 3 ch, 2dc-cl in the next stitch, (3 ch, 2dc-cl) 5 times, 3 ch, ss into 3rd ch (6 clusters)."  (2dc-cl is how I'm abbreviating "2 dc partially made in 1 stitch, and joined together at the top"--so they are only using 1 stitch from the row below)

A lot of self published patterns are unconventionally written and may be clear to the writer, but head-scratching for everyone else.

Bgs, we pushed 'post' at the same time; and it didn't occur to me that this was a granny square (duh). :blush

I was focusing on a conventional cluster definition and ignoring the chains;  I've seen them called 'granny stitches', 'blocks', and 'shells', but not clusters before.

2 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Bgs, we pushed 'post' at the same time; and it didn't occur to me that this was a granny square (duh). :blush

I was focusing on a conventional cluster definition and ignoring the chains;  I've seen them called 'granny stitches', 'blocks', and 'shells', but not clusters before.

Horrible pattern for someone new to crochet!

On 2/16/2021 at 5:30 PM, bgs said:

Horrible pattern for someone new to crochet!

On 2/16/2021 at 5:27 PM, Granny Square said:

On 2/16/2021 at 5:15 PM, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!

First, the word cluster usually means: some number of stitches incompletely made into 1 stitch, and then joined all together at the end as you finish the last stitch of the cluster. Incompletely made means stitches are worked just short of the last 'yo and pull thru' and then the next stitch is started; at the end; so you will be accumulating loops on your hook-- example if it's a 3 dc cluster, you will have 4 loops on your hook just prior to the last step, an the last step is yarning over and pulling thru all 4 loops (there is always 1 more loop on the hook than stitches made before that last pull-thru).

In a pattern they are usually called 'cluster' or 'cl' and specifically defined in the 'special stitches' section - example if all the pattern's clusters are 3 stitches combined into 1, it might be just 'cl'.  If there are 3-dc clusters, and also 5-dc clusters, they should be uniquely named so that it is clear which one is meant.  

"round 1: 3 ch, 2 tr (dc), (3 ch, 3 tr (dc)) 5 times, 3 ch, ss into 3rd ch (6 clusters)."  If you read this as conventional patterns are written, there are no clusters whatsoever there.  When a conventionally written pattern just names a series of plain stitches and doesn't specify where to put them, they are 1 after the other into separate stitches in the row below.  So this line is saying (skipping the chains because they don't go into stitches) "make 1 dc into each of the next 17 stitches".   But that's not what it means.

I think what this line is meaning to say is: ""round 1: 3 ch, 2dc-cl in the next stitch, (3 ch, 2dc-cl) 5 times, 3 ch, ss into 3rd ch (6 clusters)."  (2dc-cl is how I'm abbreviating "2 dc partially made in 1 stitch, and joined together at the top"--so they are only using 1 stitch from the row below)

A lot of self published patterns are unconventionally written and may be clear to the writer, but head-scratching for everyone else.

Thank you both so much for your help! I was so confused, I was trying to write it out on another paper but to no avail! I will try this out, but I may just try another pattern haha thanks :)

You are welcome, sorry I didn't recognize that this was my 'namesake' pattern, I was focusing on the terms!

I'm going to throw something at you - I totally get some people prefer patterns in different visual forms, some prefer videos, some prefer written, others prefer diagrammed patterns.   

Only after the internet did I discover pattern diagrams, which different symbols for different stitches and no (or few) words.  I would definitely choose diagrammed over written words for most flat things.  So, this might help you - a stitch diagram of a granny square.  This is just one granny variation - there are a lot of variations, that all end up looking the same but 'get there' in slightly different ways, usually by a variation on how and where rounds start an stop, and the # of chains between "granny clusters".

Where it shows 1 or 3 chains between "granny clusters", and then a "granny cluster" over the chain or chains in the next row, you crochet around, not into, the chain.  Stick your hook under the chain as you would under the top 2 loops of a stitch, and complete the stitch as normal.  Yes you can cram a lot of stitches around 1 chain.  Here is a link that defines crochet stitch symbols

I like diagrams because they 'sort of' look like the finished item, so you are less likely to misinterpret a lengthy and convoluted written instruction by following the diagram.