Help with Bernat pipsqueak stripes!

Adenae

Question

I am pretty new to crocheting & have never actually followed a pattern. Normally just find a way to copy one online but I can’t find a how to video of this anywhere & I love this pattern :( 

It might as well be in a different language though because I have no clue how to read it! I have my chain done & I do know how to dc but I’m lost after that.

MEASUREMENT
Approx 38½" [98 cm] square.
GAUGE
8 sc and 11 rows = 4" [10 cm].
1 chevron = Approx 6½" [16.5 cm].
DIRECTIONS
Ch 134.
1st row: (RS). 1 dc in 5th ch from hook (skipped ch-4 does not count as st). (Skip next 2 ch. V-st in next ch) twice. Skip next 2 ch. (V-st. Ch 1. V-st) in next ch. (Skip next 2 ch. V-st in next ch) twice. *Skip next 2 ch. Yoh and draw up a loop in next ch. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook. (Skip next ch. Yoh and draw up a loop in next ch. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice. Yoh and draw though all loops on hook – counts as dc3tog. (Skip next 2 ch. V-st in next ch) twice. Skip next 2 ch. (V‑st. Ch 1. V-st) in next ch-1 sp. (Skip next 2 ch. V-st in next ch) twice. Rep from * to last 4 ch. Skip next ch. Dc2tog over next and last chs. Turn.
2nd row: Ch 3 (does not count as st). 1 dc in first V-st. V-st in each of next 2 V-sts. (V-st. Ch-1. V-st) in next ch-1 sp. V-st in each of next 2 V-sts. *Dc3tog over next V-st, dc3tog and next V-st. V-st in each of next 2 V-sts. (V-st. Ch 1. V-st) in next ch-1 sp. V-st in each of next 2 V-sts. Rep from * to last V-st. Dc2tog over last V-st and last dc. Turn.
Rep last row until work from beg measures approx 38½" [98 cm], ending on a RS row. Fasten off.

4 answers to this question

Here are a couple of helpful links with info on reading patterns.

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edieeckman.com/2019/08/28/where-to-put-the-first-stitch-of-a-crochet-row/amp/

When I come across  long sort of complicated looking instructions I break it down step by step and rewrite it.  I only put a couple of steps on a line so I dont get lost.  Somewhere in the notes the pattern should have told you how to make a v stitch.  Sometimes when its a new to me compound stitch its easier for me to go ahead and write out the instructions for v stitch any place it says to do a v stitch.

(RS) is telling you this is the right side of your work.  You can put a marker if you cant tell by looking.

(skipped ch-4 does not count as st) this is telling you how to count this sequence, in many patterns this would have counted as a stitch----its very important to always count stitches in every row

(Skip next 2 ch. V-st in next ch) twice.  This is telling you to do the sequence within the parentheses 2 times.  When I rewrite the pattern out I just write it down 2 times. 

Welcome to the 'ville!

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards

The above link has a wealth of information for a new or experienced crocheter - link is to the main page, see the menu on the right and look at crochet abbreviations and crochet patterns - how to read.  99.99% of patterns are NOT going to be in video form.  I find videos valuable for a new (to me) stitch or technique, for which a 5-10 minute tutorial will probably suffice.

Your pattern is clearly written in conventional crochet pattern lingo, I don't even know how I would 'translate it' if you know what the stitches are and how to make them; the words + the stitch names should make sense.

Somewhere your pattern must define a V stitch, because there are countless different versions - it's normally x USDC, y chains, x USDC, all into 1 stitch.  X doesn't have to be different than Y, example (2dc, 2chains, 2dc) is a V stitch, but so is (3dc, 1chain, 3dc), and lots of other potential variations - could also be trebles or other stitches on either end, it's just more commonly US DC.  A well written pattern should have a 'special stitches' section that defines what V stitch means in this pattern.

Notice I said US DC, US crochet stitch terms are different than UK ones - and just to be more confusing, they use they both use the same words to mean different things.  In a nutshell, SC doesn't exist in UK terms; US SC = UK DC, and all the other US terms are 'promoted' 1 level in the same way; slip stitch and chain are the same in both.

Do you understand what a turning chain is?  The very start of your pattern says 'skipped ch-4 does not count as a stitch'.  If this doesn't make sense to you , or you aren't sure what a turning chain is, and how to deal with it depending on the stitch look it up in the link I gave you - turning chain misunderstandings are a large part of questions here from new crocheters.

One other thing that pops out at me is YOH, it means yarn over hook (YO in most modern US patterns).  That term and YRH --yarn (a)round hook-- I think are either UK terms or vintage, or from knitting, or all 3.

The asterisk is another thing that is unique to crochet patterns, it is a marker to indicate the start of a series of stitches repeat; you'll notice in your pattern it looks like * blah blah, repeat from *to last 4 stithes, so you know where to stop the repeat and to do something in the last 4 sts.

Most of what I said is also in the link I gave you.  Let us know if there is a specific area that is confusing to you, after reading the 'how to read a crochet pattern' in the link.

It looks like Bgs and I were typing at the same time, and between the 2 of us should have covered the elements in the line you quoted.

That's a good point about splitting up the line into meaningful chunks; I usually print out my patterns (I figure it uses a little paper and ink, but less electricity than working from my tablet) and I pencil in slash marks between 'chunks' of the pattern line to make it more readable.

Edited by Granny Square