Help with pattern

leslie1818

Question

I don't understand the meaning of this. First it says 1 chain, 1 sc in 2nd stitch but then it says  (1sc) 4x, (3sc), (1sc) 4x, (2sc) 1x {14} and I can't seem to understand what that means. wouldn't that just be 14 sc or why is it separated that way?

8 answers to this question

It certainly looks odd. Looks like an error in the pattern.   Sometimes you can search and find the corrections or contact the designer for help. My guess is that there is supposed to be some other stitches in that sequence besides the sc.  Can you tell whats going on from a photo?  

It's a YouTube video I could post a link but she first chained 6 then chained 1 and SC into the 2nd stitch. then she started SC all around it. It has turned into an oval shape and the number of stitches increase as she goes. The video is in another language but she provided the captions and pattern but I'm having such a hard time understanding what she means. 

This is the link it's the 2nd step in the beginning of the video.

First, welcome to the 'ville!  Second, Ugh!

There are a lot of self published patterns out there that are poorly written (that's the politest adjective I can think of).  I hope it was a free pattern at least.  I have never paid for a pattern that wasn't in a book from a source I trusted (like Annies Attic or Leisure Arts), or from a designer that I was already familiar with from magazines or books--nor will I ever be likely to.  If a free pattern turns out to be garbage, I'm not out any money, just time, and maybe yarn, but the latter can be repurposed.

Here is my guess, which doesn't work out to a row count of 14:  My guess is if the number is in parentheses, it is the number of stitches into 1 stitch.  Number x means the number of times to repeat, if it doesn't say any, it's only done once

original=(1sc) 4x, (3sc), (1sc) 4x, (2sc) 1x {14} 

before the bolded part above above, there was ch1, sc in the second stitch -  (total of 1 stitch)

(1sc) 4x = 1 stitch into the next stitch,  4 times (total of 4 stitches) (meaning--if you started the row with ch1, sc in the second stitch

(3sc) = 3 sts into the next stitch (nothing repeated--total of 3 stitches)

(1sc) 4x = 1 stitch into the next stitch, 4 times (total of 4 stitches)

(2sc) 1x = 2 stitches into the next stitch, repeat once more (total of 4 stitches

However, this is 16 stitches not 14.

I see Bgs just replied as I was typing, I agree with her thoughts.

I just saw your second post - a video - interesting to hear the word 'crochet' in the middle of rapidly spoken Japanese (I think, and I will cut the designer a lot of slack for writing out the pattern in not-her-native-language.).  All I can think of is turn the volume down and try to see what she is doing, and count the stitches on the item if you can.

So it is an oval.

1 chain, 1 sc in 2nd stitch but then it says  (1sc) 4x, (3sc), (1sc) 4x, (2sc) 1x {14}

Granny Square dont know why she had (2sc) 1x.  I think she means do it one time and not one more time as these 2 stitches combine with the 1 sc in 2nd stitch at the beginning would equal 3 stitches which was what was used working around the other end of the chain.  I hate youtube for crocheting except for a quick explanation of something.

I think I understand! After watching it about 15 times😂 I think she means 1 sc into the next 4 stitches, then 3 sc into the same stitch, then 1 sc into the next 4, and 2 sc into the next stitch (once) which would then equal 13 not 14 stitches but I believe she made a mistake by saying it equals 14 as the other parts of the pattern do equal the correct amount. I hope that made sense I'm a little new to crochet. I appreciate your help! :)

9 minutes ago, leslie1818 said:

I think I understand! After watching it about 15 times😂 I think she means 1 sc into the next 4 stitches, then 3 sc into the same stitch, then 1 sc into the next 4, and 2 sc into the next stitch (once) which would then equal 13 not 14 stitches but I believe she made a mistake by saying it equals 14 as the other parts of the pattern do equal the correct amount. I hope that made sense I'm a little new to crochet. I appreciate your help! :)

Yes!   Except there are 14 stitches. You did not count that "1 sc in the 2nd ch".  You make the last 2 sc into the same place as this first sc which makes the three in that end matching the 3 on the other end.

Edited by bgs

Bgs, that stuck out to me too, comparing '(3sc)' versus '(2sc) 1x' -do they both mean do the thing (do x sc once), and 1x is a typo (if "do it once" was understood by just typing (3sc) before, why was 1x spelled out unless it meant something different?

Like you I also dislike youtube for row by row crochet or knit patterns, but are great for a complex stitch demo or simple but new (to me) technique.