Attaching wool granny squares

Leslie in Lakeland

Question

I inherited a kit that has wool granny squares you are to put them together yourself. The granny squares are about 30 years old and need to be cleaned because they are musty. Should I try to wash the squares separately and block them or should I attach them first and then wash the blanket?

Also, how do I know what size hook to use to attach them?

Thank you

6 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!  Being that the squares are 30 years old and actually wool (not acrylic), you might consider hand washing the squares in cool water, then block until dry. I would do it this way using a detergent such as Woolite, etc. If they are acrylic, you could wash them in a lingerie bag on a gentle cycle on your washing machine, then block them until dry. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the 'ville!

When you say wool, do you literally mean animal fiber yarn? - asking because some folks use the word 'wool' to refer to any sort of yarn no matter what the fiber.  If it's really animal fiber, in my opinion washing and blocking them first makes sewing together easier (for garments, I've never made a wool blanket but assume that would apply for any sewing together).

Acrylic doesn't need blocking; some people 'kill' acrylic with heat but I don't recommend it, it makes the fiber sort of 'crunchy' and will cease to stretch like a knit or crocheted item.

The above is just in general, and what I'd do if the squares were newly made and relatively clean.  Since they are dusty/musty, I'd hand hand wash them gently  just to get them clean first before working with them.

I see ReniC has replied as I was typing, we seem to be on the same page!

As far as the hook size; can you guess at the size of the yarn - I assume the kit also comes with the yarn to sew or crochet them together? Take the yarn, and using the info on this link, wrap your yarn around a pencil go figure out what size yarn you have.  Then, using this link (applies to US yarn terms) see what hook size is suggested for your size of yarn.  You can probably expand that range a little--there is a menu on the right side of the page, go to 'hooks and needles' to see what US "letter" hook size corresponds to the mm size given, if you are in the US.  What I would do is take the kit yarn and my hooks and make some little swatches of  a couple rows of US DC which I presume is the stitch used, to see what hook works with 'my' tension to come closest to that of the squares.

52 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

:waving  Hi Reni, doing fine, hunkering down and crocheting while not sauntering down the Crochetville's Main street!

Good to hear. I do the same and even venture into the backstreets when I can.