Scrunchie Help

str8wberry

Question

hi! i’m making a scrunchie. i’m working around the bobble but it keeps stretching when i’m making my tube bigger and i haven’t got the ‘scrunchie wave’ effect, it’s just a circle. am i doing something wrong? i’ve originally had my scrunchie bigger but it just stretched the bobble.

thanks!

image.jpg

3 answers to this question

Are you trying something like this?

https://sarahmaker.com/easy-crochet-hair-scrunchie/

Here are some of my observations in crocheting scrunchies.  I tried with yarn and hated them as they were bulkier than I wanted.  Yes the elastic just kept stretching to accommodate more and more stitches. Some elastic stretches easier than others.  You would need an elastic that would allow you to cram lots of stitches in the ring before it stretched to get that wave effect. 

• Like 1

I don't know what you mean "around the bobble"--I assume you mean a stretchy center. I admit I haven't made a scrunchie but I thought they were usually made around a pony-tail elastic thing, and weren't 3-dimensional like this--in other words, from the center out, not a bent-around tube as you have--like this example.  Are you  working from a pattern?  Actually, yours sort of looks like this one , if that's your pattern then I'd say you are on track.

In general, the way to make a ruffle (anywhere, not just a scrunchie) is to make a row (or round) of stitches.  Row 2, put at least 3 stitches into 1 stitch (3 is a mild ruffle - this might work nicely for a baby blanket edging; put more into 1 stitch and you get more ruffle, I've not gone beyond 5.  For rows/rounds beyond the first 1, just put 1 stitch into each stitch, it's the initial row that causes the ruffle, the rest is just to make the ruffle deeper.

Edited by Granny Square
added missing word
  • Like 1