Turned out huge

Georgie96

Question

Hi can someone please help! I taught myself to crochet and don’t know what I’m doing wrong but when I make something it seems huge. This is the first part of the “head”:

Rnd 1: Start with a magic ring. 6 sc in the magic ring Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st (12)
Rnd 3: [1 sc, inc] x6 (18)
Rnd 4: [2 sc, inc] x6 (24)
Rnd 5: [3 sc, inc] x6 (30)
Rnd 6: [4 sc, inc] x6 (36)
Rnd 7: [5 sc, inc] x6 (42)
Rnds 8-10: 1 sc in each st (42)
Rnd 11: 10 sc, 1 bo, 12 sc, 1 bo, 18 sc (42) Rnds 12-14: 1 sc in each st (42)
Rnd 15: [5 sc, inc] x6 (36)
Rnd 16: [4 sc, inc] x6 (30)
Rnd 17: [4 sc, inc] x6 (36)
Rnd 18: [5 sc, inc] x6 (42)
Rnd 19: 1 sc in each st (42)
Rnd 20: [6 sc, inc] x6 (48)
Rnd 21: 1 sc in each st (48)
Rnd 22: [7 sc, inc] x6 (54)
Rnd 23: 1 sc in each st (54)
Rnd 24: [8 sc, inc] x6 (60)
Rnd 25: 1 sc in each st (60)
Rnd 26: [9 sc, inc] x6 (66)
Rnds 27-30: 1 sc in each st (66)

Rnd 31: [9 sc, dec] x6 (60)
Rnd 32: 1 sc in each st (60)
Rnd 33: [8 sc, dec] x6 (54)

Rnd 34: [7 sc, dec] x6 (48)

Rnd 35: [6 sc, dec] x6 (42)

Rnd 36: [5 sc, dec] x6 (36)

Rnd 37: [4 sc, dec] x6 (30)

Rnd 38: [3 sc, dec] x6 (24)

Now, stuff the head.
Rnd 39: [2 sc, dec] x6 (18)
Rnd 40: [1 sc, dec] x6 (12)
And stuff the head one last time.
Rnd 41: dec x6 (6)
Now, sew together the last 6 sts. Sew through one of the loops of each of the 6 sts. Pull the thread to close the hole and weave in the end.

So I did the magic ring and followed how I think it goes but it’s just getting huge and doesn’t have much shape compared to the picture - I wish I could attach a photo. Then when it comes to decreasing it’s so huge it’s not really getting smaller when I’m decreasing so I’ve got a huge gaping hole at the back even though I’m finished. Please help I haven’t explained it very well but find it difficult every time I try to make something.

thank you 

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville, and to crochet!

First guess as to what might be the problem: Did the pattern give a stitch gauge to follow (like a measurement for x stitches across, for y rows?  Did it suggest a yarn and hook size to get that gauge?  Did you use the suggested yarn (or the same 'size' yarn), and hook size? If you substituted a different weight of yarn than the pattern said, and used a hook that was too big for that yarn, it could result 'too loose, too big, and holey'.  Something to be stuffed needs to be made relatively tightly so the stuffing doesn't show--not so tight it hurts your hands, but enough to make a solid fabric.

Second guess: did you double check your stitch count after each round, that it matched what the pattern said it should be?  And a related question - did you mark the first stitch of each round?  Since it's made in a spiral, it would be hard to figure out out where you are in a round, or made a mistake in a round.  The fact that your decreases didn't have much effect suggest that you made too many increases.  The increase scheme is that of a flat circle from the beginning to round 10 - was it flat, or did it ruffle?  Ruffling could mean too many stitches, or could have to do with your stitch height (I make short-ish stitches and deal with ruffling sometimes; everybody has a different stitch tension.)

Could you possibly have misunderstood what the number in parentheses meant at the end of each round?  It is a sanity check number to tell you how many stitches you should have made in that round - many help questions here are about these sanity-check numbers at the end of a row--some folks think it means to 'do some more stitches in that row', but they've run out of stitches to work into.  Example, Rnd 3: [1 sc, inc] x6 (18) means : *make 1 sc into the next sc, then 2 sc into the following sc; repeat from * 5 more times (so, a total of 6 iterations).  You should have 18 stitches at the end of this row."

5 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville, and to crochet!

First guess as to what might be the problem: Did the pattern give a stitch gauge to follow (like a measurement for x stitches across, for y rows?  Did it suggest a yarn and hook size to get that gauge?  Did you use the suggested yarn (or the same 'size' yarn), and hook size? If you substituted a different weight of yarn than the pattern said, and used a hook that was too big for that yarn, it could result 'too loose, too big, and holey'.  Something to be stuffed needs to be made relatively tightly so the stuffing doesn't show--not so tight it hurts your hands, but enough to make a solid fabric.

Second guess: did you double check your stitch count after each round, that it matched what the pattern said it should be?  And a related question - did you mark the first stitch of each round?  Since it's made in a spiral, it would be hard to figure out out where you are in a round, or made a mistake in a round.  The fact that your decreases didn't have much effect suggest that you made too many increases.  The increase scheme is that of a flat circle from the beginning to round 10 - was it flat, or did it ruffle?  Ruffling could mean too many stitches, or could have to do with your stitch height (I make short-ish stitches and deal with ruffling sometimes; everybody has a different stitch tension.)

Could you possibly have misunderstood what the number in parentheses meant at the end of each round?  It is a sanity check number to tell you how many stitches you should have made in that round - many help questions here are about these sanity-check numbers at the end of a row--some folks think it means to 'do some more stitches in that row', but they've run out of stitches to work into.  Example, Rnd 3: [1 sc, inc] x6 (18) means : *make 1 sc into the next sc, then 2 sc into the following sc; repeat from * 5 more times (so, a total of 6 iterations).  You should have 18 stitches at the end of this row."

Thank you and thanks for your reply! It’s so confusing to try and get my head around and to explain without pictures or talking it through with someone - at least that’s what I’m finding and I have no one to ask! So I apologise for the poor explanations.

I’ve used the recommended yarn, hook etc and my work is really tight and together it’s just physically it looks nothing like it’s meant to.

Having considered what you’ve said I think it may be to do with my rounds - this is where I’m confused. I’ve been finishing a round but ending up with more than I should, for example when I’m decreasing it says at the end I should have 24 but I’m still on 40-something, which suggests I’ve done too many elsewhere but I’ve followed the instructions to the letter. I think perhaps I need to use a stitch marker. My question is should the round I finish always end up at the marker or can it finish a few stitches before, and if it does do I crochet into the next stitch or go ahead into where my marker is?

My work was flat up until round 10, it was then I got more confused as I can’t understand how in round 15 I’m increasing but getting an overall lower number of stitches than round 14? It goes from 42 to 36 but I’m increasing?

I look forward to your reply. I think I need a crochet hotline!

To answer your question your round should always finish at the marker (yes you must use one) with exactly the number of stitches it gives for the round.  If not you made a mistake or the pattern is in error.  This pattern is in error on round 15 and 16.  Where it says inc it should say dec in order to match the given stitch count.  Otherwise on doing a quick scan the math seems to match what its telling you to do.  I hate to say it but it sounds like you are going to need to pull it out and start over.  

Sometimes it is helpful if you can post photos of your work.  In order to post a photo go to the paperclip at bottom of dialogue box and select it.  Then choose photo you want to upload.  Then I have to select open and it uploads.  To insert it in your post you select the plus sign on your uploaded photo.  I am on mobile so it might be a little different on a pc but not much.

Edited by bgs

7 hours ago, bgs said:

To answer your question your round should always finish at the marker (yes you must use one) with exactly the number of stitches it gives for the round.  If not you made a mistake or the pattern is in error.  This pattern is in error on round 15 and 16.  Where it says inc it should say dec in order to match the given stitch count.  Otherwise on doing a quick scan the math seems to match what its telling you to do.  I hate to say it but it sounds like you are going to need to pull it out and start over.  

Sometimes it is helpful if you can post photos of your work.  In order to post a photo go to the paperclip at bottom of dialogue box and select it.  Then choose photo you want to upload.  Then I have to select open and it uploads.  To insert it in your post you select the plus sign on your uploaded photo.  I am on mobile so it might be a little different on a pc but not much.

Thank you for your reply! That’s really clarified things I’ve had another attempt this morning using a marker and it’s much much easier, I had no idea what a difference it would make. I’ve already found some areas where I made mistakes before so it looks different already, fingers crossed it continues. Thank you also for correcting the pattern I definitely didn’t decrease there last time!

It’s great that there’s people out there so willing to help, it’s not an easy hobby to teach yourself! Thanks again