Where does the extra stitch come from?

EweAreSewCute

Question

I wrote a slipper pattern which I've copied here and there is always a need to decrease at the end of my round. Why do i need to? If i don't i will have 35 then 36 and 37 etc around the end of each round. How does this happen?

SIDES

Round 1. Begin in center back (aprox 5 stitches over from join) in 3rd loop of hdc work sc in each st around (116 sc)

Round 2-4 Sc around.

Type of stitch is written to the left of bracket, instructions on how many of each stitch and what to do with them inside the bracket dec by picking up front loop of next 2 sts and work indicated stitch.

Round 5. SC (34) HDC(5 dec 5 dec) DC(5 dec 6 dec 5) HDC(dec 5 dec 5) SC(34)

Round 6. SC (34) HDC(4 dec 4 dec) DC(4 dec 5 dec 4) HDC(dec 4 dec 4) SC(33 sc2tog)

Round 7. SC (34) HDC(3 dec 3 dec) DC(3 dec 4 dec 3) HDC(dec 3 dec 3) SC(33 sc2tog)

Round 8. SC (34) HDC(2 dec 2 dec) DC(2 dec 3 dec 2) HDC(dec 2 dec 2) SC(33 sc2tog)

Round 9. SC (34) HDC(1 dec 1 dec) DC(1 dec 2 dec 1) HDC(dec 1 dec 1) SC(33 sc2tog)

Thanks for helping I'm so confused why it has to happen.

2 answers to this question

It doesnt say but are you joining rounds with a slip stitch?  If so by the time you get back around to the slip stitch joining the previous row it looks an awful lot like a stitch you want to work into but you are not supposed to.

Scroll down to Example for Counting Crochet Stitches in the Round

https://www.sigonimacaroni.com/counting-crochet-stitches-and-rows/

Edited by bgs

^ Agree.  It's not a bad idea to put a stitch marker in that 'not stitch' so you don't zone out and for get to skip that not-stitch.  If you don't have any, bobby pins are cheaper than 'real' craft store markers.  I do that (most of the time, depends on the yarn fluffiness and color) and I've been crocheting for decades.