Filet crochet pattern insight

Naj

Question

Can anyone help me understand how these patterns are handled as they aren't the standard square mesh design. I do know how to increase & decrease on rows, but these are beyond that. I have searched for instructions, tips or guidelines on handling, but I either find charts with no instructions or video's in a foreign language (for me). Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated!

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 2.15.44 PM.png

5 answers to this question

That's gorgeous.  

What some (if not all) of the (solid shaped but not straight edged) filet doilies I have made is, to start at a midline (widest part) and worked to 1 end, then you go back to the midline and work to the other end.  I would do that with this doily, as well, I think it would be easier to manage than starting with one end, because there, well, is no 'end', just a bunch of branches. 

The only way I can think that this must be worked is in many little areas, where 'holes' and disconnected branches and leaves are, where you are going to have to cut the thread, work one small area, repeat with another area, until you can get to a point where you can work across a larger area.  This will take some careful planning...

5 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

That's gorgeous.  

What some (if not all) of the (solid shaped but not straight edged) filet doilies I have made is, to start at a midline (widest part) and worked to 1 end, then you go back to the midline and work to the other end.  I would do that with this doily, as well, I think it would be easier to manage than starting with one end, because there, well, is no 'end', just a bunch of branches. 

The only way I can think that this must be worked is in many little areas, where 'holes' and disconnected branches and leaves are, where you are going to have to cut the thread, work one small area, repeat with another area, until you can get to a point where you can work across a larger area.  This will take some careful planning...

I was wondering about working from the middle out, then turn & do again. I haven't tried working any that way - yet. Do the stitches show differently when you go in the opposite direction? Or is it so similar that it isn't noticeable? I worry that the middle will "show" 

After doing some research  I believe this is FSL machine embroidery.  I tracked similar designs back to etsy sold as machine embroidery.  Then I found the following link where it says "machine embroidery design is part of our Freestanding Crochet Lace collection. It uses the Freestanding Crochet Lace technique."  

https://www.advanced-embroidery-designs.com/html/24117.html

I really thought I was looking at filet crochet.

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

Make a little swatch and see what you think.  What I am careful to do is make sure that the second half the midline chain is not facing the same way as the row below the chain (not sure if I'm the only one whose stitches do this, but for me the back side of a DC is obvious because "it's butt sticks out", the lower part of the stitch is a little looser than the top.

I think it's a little like when you fudge something or do a braided or Russian join mid-row and worry (that's going to stick out like a sore thumb!!)  and you go back to look for that spot 3 rows later and can't find it....

Bgs just posted as I was about to hit reply, holy moly you could have fooled me.  I have a manufactured phony-crochet-filet tablecloth which looks reasonably legit 10 feet away, but not at all once you get closer, that example is amazing.

Wow Brenda, good researching! I couldn't trace it. And I really thought it was filet crochet. There are so many of these "patterns" that are beautiful looking, I wonder if I could recreate a simpler one in filet -- I have a project I think.

Thank you BGS and Granny Square for your help & time! Have a Happy New Year!