How to customize a pattern

AmyR

Question

Happy Holiday's to all,

This is my first "forum" discussion board (I'm still trying to figuring out how to post things and respond to posts 🤔)  

Many, many thanks to Granny Square, who answered my questions, on a pattern, for a dog sweater, that I was just not understanding.. I finished the dog sweater but was disappointed that the sweater did not fit as I expected and I followed all the parameters given for the desired size I wanted to make.  

My questions.... Is it possible to use my dog's measurements for a given pattern that has a calculated # of stitches/rows for a set size... S, M, L, XL?  OR when a pattern gives # of stitches/rows per given weight.:   0 - 5 lb - ch #...,  5 - 10 lb - ch #..., 10 - 20 lb - ch#.....and so on... 

The other issue is, my girls don't like "pull-over" type sweaters. I have searched countless hours for patterns that are not the "pull over" type.  

I've made 5 sweaters and none of them turned out to fit my pooches; even though my gauge was correct, the sizing was still not right for girls  😢

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

6 answers to this question

Hello again!

I usually only ever crochet or crochet for me (no kids, or pets, and hubby's not interested...)  I have knit and crocheted myself a lot of sweaters (am wearing one now as I type this), and knit many pairs of sox since we moved from CA to OR and I've been freezing every winter since, and I know MY size of these things.  When I make a sweater or sock, I compare it as I go to something that fits me well, and I try it on now and then.

I used to sew a lot of my own "office" clothes, suits mostly.  When  I got a new pattern I'd cut out the pieces and measure at pertinent areas and make sure the pattern's allowance at my bust, waist, and hip hit at the right spot vertically and the right measurement 'around', and if not, adjust.

So, I'd measure your pup, and decide on the fit in important spots--should be x" from neck to tail, y" around the chest, and position of leg openings I suppose (I've never made a dog jacket, there are probably other important dimensions). 

Do you own a purchased dog jacket that fits? (or plural, if all your dogs aren't about the same size).  If so, you could measure your progress on the pattern to the existing garment and see if you need to make adjustments.

Try to find a pattern that gives a diagram - a sketch of the shape, measurements at certain areas, and so forth.  Measure your dog.  Maybe even make a paper pattern of the pattern' diagram and wrap it around the intended dog, if she will put up with that, and see if it seems right, or the leg holes should be elsewhere, or whatever.  Then make adjustments to your fabric so it matches the paper pattern (add or subtract rows, increase the width, whatever).

Or, you might be able to make a custom cut-out pattern (or sketch, with measurements) from a combo of the pattern's diagram, and your dog's measurements, and compare that to your crochet work as you go.

And, make sure your gauge matches the designers', especially the width gauge.  My height gauge rarely matches for example, but most of the time I can add or subtract rows to get the height to fit, but I make sure my width gauge is spot on, it doesn't take much of a difference on a 4' swatch to throw off a whole garment by quite a lot.

As far as not pull-over type--do you have a link to something of the 'style' you want?  Example I just took a quick look and there are some that are basically not much more than a blanket with a strap or 2 that bring it around to cover most of the dog, would that work? 

I would think it wouldn't be TOO hard to convert a pull-over in the round to a button up if your pattern had a diagram, and a simple stitch pattern. If the pattern is not in SC, you'd probably want to make the 'button bands' in SC, would be sturdier to hold the buttons on and keep the holes from stretching than say DC.  To make a button hole, just chain 2 or 3 or whatever that fits your button best, skip that many stitches, and resume in SC.  Next row, just make an SC in or around each chain.  If you find a pattern that you want to modify, I can go into more detail since there are variables that would depend on the pattern.

Edited by Granny Square

OK, this is a stupid pattern but I imagine you can easily omit the decorations - is this enough coverage for example?  It doesn't cover the chest, but has straps and not a pullover.

This says it's basically a rectangle with straps https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-peasy-dog-coat

This one ties, would a dog want to chew on the ties/is this a bad idea? https://www.yarnspirations.com/red-heart-purpleicious-dog-coat/RHC0713-023283M.html

Ok, another silly one but easy to lose the pom poms https://www.yarnspirations.com/red-heart-cheerleader-dog-outfit/RHC0713-014564M.html

I seem to be finding sweaters for little dogs, here's another one - would be easy to convert the solid color to a 2-piece strap with button & buttonhole https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dapper-doggie-sweater

Thank you Granny Square and Brenda for the links to great idea's for a dog sweater and the how-to-measure your pet tutorial. 

So let say I want to use my dogs measurements for the above pattern. Is it as simple as crocheting to equal the same measurements? 
such as, if my dog's neck is 10" round, I could chain until the crochet chain = 10" round?    Or if the length I need from my dogs neck to the base of her tail = 10", would I just chain as many as needed to = the 10" length, and so on for the width? etc...

I've avoided patterns with a sketch because they seem really confusing to me and I have no idea how to read them.. But since it was mentioned, I'm going look into learning more about those patterns.

Yes, pretty much, except I'd probably add a little bit to the actual measurement where it fits snugly (around the neck) .  

But looking at this pattern, I may be missing it I'm not finding where it says to sew or crochet the short ends (at the top of this photo) together mid-front.  If this pattern fits your dog, it would be easy to NOT sew them together, add a few rows of SC at the ends so they overlap the distance to accommodate a button band, and add a button hole on 1 side and a button on the other (or 2 small buttons, maybe).  That would avoid the pullover problem.

outline of one-piece crochet dog sweater --oops, photo didn't attach, but it's the top in-process photo in your link.

Edited by Granny Square

Yes you want to focus on crocheting to match inches and not get hung up on number of stitches.  She figured out her gauge and then coverted to stitches based on her measurements.

One thing to be aware of is as you make stitches into your chains the length is less than what your measurement was with just the chains.  When I want a specific length I chain extras, work my stitches for first row stopping at length I wanted and go on to row 2.  Then I go pick apart the extra chains left on the end.