Christmas scarf panic pattern question!

amandamole

Question

Hello! I’m making what I thought was a simple scarf for my dad for Christmas, but there’s a part of the pattern I’m having trouble understanding - specifically, the repetition of row 3. 

the pattern can be found here, and it’s super short:

https://www.yarnspirations.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-master-catalog-spinrite/default/dwece06c88/PDF/RHC0125-024654M.pdf

if I dc2tog, I will have fewer stitches for the next row and the scarf will take on a triangle form until I run out of stitches. how can I repeat this pattern for 89” and still have the wave appearance, and an even width? Can anyone see what I’m missing? Apologies if the answer is super obvious, thanks for taking a look!

Amanda

4 answers to this question

"Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as dc throughout), work in back loops only, dc in first st, *dc in next 3 sts [dc2tog in next 2 sts] twice, dc in next 3 sts**, 2 dc in next 2 sts; rep from * across ending at **, 2 dc in last st. Turn—3 ripples made."

Your valleys decrease by 2 (turns 4 stitches into 2) and hills increase by 2 (turn 2 sts into 4)  (left & right hillsides always match, 3 sts on each side in your case) .

Warning: count your stitches, ripples are notorious for being hard to keep on track; yours is a small number on the hillsides so might be easier to 'eyeball count' than larger ripple patterns, but keep an eye on that.  What happens is 'you' make a hill or valley transaction 1 stitch too soon or too late, and the hillsides get off, and if you don't catch it it tends to compound...I know better, have been crocheting for decades and it happened to me on my last ripple, ,much rippling  (oops, ripping!!) ensued.  :( 

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1