Help reading pattern

Nikkislom

Question

EDIT: added picture for reference. It includes the rounds I am talking about and the previous round. I have finished round 5, and I’m trying to figure out how to work round 6-8. As you can see, round 5 has no trebles, which is why I’m confused. This pattern comes from Crochet, a book that had this pattern included. It’s called “polar bear comforter” 

I’m making a baby blanket. My pattern says “SS in space between sts, ch 2 (2 dc in-between each 2 tr) around, ss in first st to join. I need help understanding what’s in parentheses. I haven’t done and trebles in the pattern so far.

image.jpg

Edited by Nikkislom
Added picture and additional information

5 answers to this question

So are you telling us that the previous row (s) had no trebles?  If so these instructions  make no sense to me--could be error in pattern.  From instructions given us it sounds like the previous row or round should have been mostly tr.  The instructions in parenthesis are saying to make 2 dc between 2 tr----not into the stitch as usual but literally between the stitches.

https://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-double-crochet-between-stitches/

We need more info to help.  If its a free pattern and on the internet you can post the link or if not give us the name of the pattern and source and its ok to post a few rows from a pattern and not violate copyright.  

Agree that is telling you to something a bit unusual (but not unheard of), by having you stitch between stitches, not into the tops of stitches.

Working in the round (not a spiral, but in joined rounds) you end a round by slip stitching to the first stitch of the round, chaining up for the turning chain, and then on with the pattern.  

If I'm guessing right, you have just joined a round by slip stitching into the top of the first stitch of the current round.  Now you need to 'scoot over' to start the next round, by slip stitching between the stitch you just joined into, and the following stitch, chaining up, and proceeding around by working in the gaps between stitches.

I make a lot of doilies center-out in the round - it's not terribly unusual to have to 'scoot over' to start the next round, tho I've seen in more in vintage patterns than modern ones.

If you have ever not worked into the top of a stitch - working around a chain space, or the gap between stitches, isn't that much different - you just stick the hook under the chain, or into the space between 2 stitches, and the rest is the same.

Edited by Granny Square

32 minutes ago, bgs said:

So are you telling us that the previous row (s) had no trebles?  If so these instructions  make no sense to me--could be error in pattern.  From instructions given us it sounds like the previous row or round should have been mostly tr.  The instructions in parenthesis are saying to make 2 dc between 2 tr----not into the stitch as usual but literally between the stitches.

https://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-double-crochet-between-stitches/

We need more info to help.  If its a free pattern and on the internet you can post the link or if not give us the name of the pattern and source and its ok to post a few rows from a pattern and not violate copyright.  

Added picture above for reference

The photo looks like all dc to me (looking at the pattern photo is a good habit to get into if you have a question--this is all I had to rely on when I had no one to help me when I first learned, long before the internet).  You might try googling that book, and the publisher name, there may be some errata on the publisher's site - or just assume that it was a typo and should have been dc and keep going.

I am inclined to think tr was a typo or possibly a momentary mental lapse since a UK treble crochet is a US double crochet. 

As Granny Square pointed out refer to pattern photos and also use the stitch counts at the ends of rows when they are given as they are in this pattern.