Rita Weiss autumn haze Afghan pattern

Marjie

Question

I am having difficulty with part of the Afghan pattern I am working with. Row 4 alternates 4 PC and 5 DC. Then row 5 is sc in each dc, PC and ch-1 sp, turn. This is one row I am having difficulty with. I did what I thought was correct but something seems off. 

5 answers to this question

What seems 'off'?

The only thing I'm seeing that would cause a problem in row 5 is SCing into the chain space after the popcorn AND into the popcorn itself, you are going to gain a stitch for each popcorn 'assembly' that way-- the popcorn, including the chain after, normally counts as 1 stitch.  I would stitch into the chain space only, not the stitch that drew the stitches of the popcorn together - this allows all the stitches of the gathered DCs that make up the popcorn to be part of what 'pops out' of the fabric.

I guess my confusion is .... is PC and ch-1 sp how the row ends? I guess I am unclear as to what I am being told to do. I am still fairly née to crochet and am a visual learner so patterned can get confusing unless I see it done. I am unable to find this pattern anywhere online that shows me how to stitch this row. When I did row 5 I sc along the whole row and did a PC at the end but that just doesn’t look right. I know I am missing something. 

image.jpg