Newbie!

Amymac

Question

Hi all!

I am really new to crochet and I am stuck on a pattern....I'm hoping you can help please!?

Rnd 2: (1dc, 2dc in next st) to end. 18 sts

Rnd 3: (4dc, [2dc in next st, 1dc] twice, 2dc in next st) twice. 24 sts

I understand Rnd 2 but am stuck on 3.  Why all the brackets?? 

Thank you :) 

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!  It's a repeat within a  repeat.

"Rnd 3: 4dc, ([2dc in next st, 1dc] twice, 2dc in next st) twice. 24 sts"  Read this as:

4dc,  4

2dc in next st, 1dc  3

2dc in next st, 1dc  3

2dc in next st     2  now, go back to the first red line and repeat all the red lines 1 more time.  (The blue numbers are just the stitch counts for those bits). 

Now, that's what the line SAYS, but it doesn't it doesn't add up to 24.  1 iteration of the red lines is 8 stitches, 2 iterations is 16, plus the 4 that came before all the punctuation, with is only 20.  

18 hours ago, Amymac said:

Hi all!

I am really new to crochet and I am stuck on a pattern....I'm hoping you can help please!?

Rnd 2: (1dc, 2dc in next st) to end. 18 sts

Rnd 3: (4dc, [2dc in next st, 1dc] twice, 2dc in next st) twice. 24 sts

I understand Rnd 2 but am stuck on 3.  Why all the brackets?? 

Thank you :) 

17 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the ville!  It's a repeat within a  repeat.

"Rnd 3: 4dc, ([2dc in next st, 1dc] twice, 2dc in next st) twice. 24 sts"  Read this as:

4dc,  4

2dc in next st, 1dc  3

2dc in next st, 1dc  3

2dc in next st     2  now, go back to the first red line and repeat all the red lines 1 more time.  (The blue numbers are just the stitch counts for those bits). 

Now, that's what the line SAYS, but it doesn't it doesn't add up to 24.  1 iteration of the red lines is 8 stitches, 2 iterations is 16, plus the 4 that came before all the punctuation, with is only 20.  

The beginning 4 dc is inside the parentheses so it's repeated also. Double repeats in a line are so confusing!!

OOPS! Thanks for your eagle eye Greyhoundgradndma. 

Sorry if I caused confusion Amymac (see, that line was a mess to an old-timer too, not just a beginner, so don't feel bad)--but I'm glad it adds up now.

Edited by Granny Square