Curving Blanket

Bri R

Question

Hey Everybody!

I am very very new to crocheting, and my first project ever is crocheting a blanket. This blanket has thick yarn. I have undid this blanket twice already because of my edges, on one side my edges are palmist straight and on another my edges are getting wider and wider. I’ve already tried tightening the hold of my yarn but it is not working. I read that I am suppose to buy a bigger hook, twice the size of the one I already have which is N. Can someone please help me out! 

Thank you so much! 

Linked below is a picture of my blanket! 

Blanket

2 answers to this question

Count the number of stitches on your first row.  Then count the number of stitches on your last row.  I think you are going to find that you have been adding stitches.  Its easy to do.  You really have to watch stitch placement at the ends of your rows.  I have crocheted for many years and I still get off if I am not careful.  Its better to stop and count stitches for each row than to have to pull out several rows.

^ What she said - this is a common problem.  Per your photo, neither edge is 'almost straight' (sorry to be blunt), I can see your stitch count is varying on both side edges.   If the vertical edge on the right is the beginning, you've lost a lot of stitches at that end.

I haven't had the opportunity to teach someone how to crochet, but if I did the first thing I'd say is "don't even think about starting out with variegated or thick fuzzy yarn", and yet this is what beginners tend to gravitate to :sigh   Or dark colors - all of those elements make it harder to see what you are doing.  How are you making your stitches?  It looks like you (may) be making stitches between other stitches, not into stitches?   If so, that is a recipe for disaster if you don't compensate for the count.  Are you following a pattern?

Since you are a beginner, do you know when turning chains count as a stitch and when they don't, and the different way you treat them to keep your stitch count even?  This is a common cause of stitch count issues.  Example, US SC the turning chain is 1, and does not count as a stitch; US DC the turning chain does count as a stitch, so you chain 3, skip the first stitch of the row below, and when you come back to the turning chain at the end of the following row you stitch into the top of the chain as if it were a real DC.

A good habit to get into is examine your work frequently, and rip back to fix a mistake.  Ripping is part of the process, and it's a whole lot less painful to stop after every row and count, or make sure that extra stitches aren't sprouting out from the edges, or vanishing, and rip out to fix a mistake 2 rows down rather than 22 rows.

You are going to have to rip again I'm afraid.  When you do, examine each row carefully at each end, make sure the stitches are lining up on top of each other; look at the stitches below your first stitch of the last row you made, if you follow directly down the column of stitches below your first stitch, are there more stitches to the right of the column in the rows below?  If so you've been losing stitches at that end.  If your new first stitch has no stitches directly below, you are gaining stitches at that end.  The photo below shows what I mean: the left side tracks evenly, but the right side has more stitches beyond the marked column of stitches at the top side of the photo than at the bottom.

Because of the yarn you are using it's hard for me to follow a column of stitches from your photo, but you should be able to do this by handling the fabric.  It would be a good idea to put a marker into the first and last stitch of each row, and move it up every row.

762683617_addingstitches.jpg.c45794c646a1ec2b921a2dab64ee4811.jpg