Help Reading Crochet Pattern

saxcrochetnewbie

Question

Hi all! I'm new to crochet and would love to make this teether for the baby girl in my belly, but am struggling to understand the pattern! I understand all of the abbreviations and I know how to do all of the stitches called for, where I'm struggling is with the number of stitches. Two things in particular I have questions on:

1) Does "sc 2, inc" mean one single crochet in each of the next two stitches, and then two single crochets in the third stitch? Or would this indicate the increase goes into the second stitch? 

2) What do the numbers in parenthesis at the end of each instruction mean? The total number of stitches, or the number of times you repeat AFTER doing the first? Would an increase count as one or two? 

Very appreciative of any help with this! Thank you! :)

CROCHET BUNNY WOODEN TEETHER

R1: MR, 6 sc in ring (6)
R2: * sc, inc * repeat from * to * around (9)
R3: * sc 2, inc * repeat from * to * around (12)
R4: * sc, inc * repeat from * to * around (18)
R5-14: sc in each st around (18)
R15: * sc, dec * repeat from * to * around (12)
R16-54: sc in each st around (12)
R55: * sc, inc * repeat from * to * around (18)
R56-65: sc in each st around (18)
R66:* sc, dec * repeat from * to * around (12)
R67: * sc 2, dec * repeat from * to * around (9)
R68: * sc, dec * repeat from to * around (6) FO

3 answers to this question

MR = make ring.  There are a couple of ways to do this, for a SC ring of only 6 stitches, the easiest way to start is chain 2, make 6 sc in the second chain from the hook (the one next to the slip knot). You didn't ask, but I thought I'd throw that out there as this isn't a standard 'term', tho maybe it's becoming one.

1) Does "sc 2, inc" mean one single crochet in each of the next two stitches, and then two single crochets in the third stitch? Or would this indicate the increase goes into the second stitch?   The underlined choice.  Normally if a pattern says 'sc 2' (or any stitch type and #) and doesn't say where, it means 1 stitch into each of the next x stitches.  The convention is 'inc' means 2 stitches into 1-- the pattern would/should spell out how many stitches into 1 otherwise.

2) What do the numbers in parenthesis at the end of each instruction mean? The total number of stitches, or the number of times you repeat AFTER doing the first? Would an increase count as one or two?   The underlined - some patterns kindly give you a 'sanity check count' at the end of the round, so you can check at that point and fix an error before you go farther.  An increase uses 1 from the prior row and creates 2 in the current row, so counts as 2 in the current row.

Edited by Granny Square

I purposely avoid using the 'magic' word on this forum because I've seen some crocheters call it 'magic loop' so I tend to stick to 'adjustable ring' -- magic loop is a knitting term for something entirely different, and I don't want folks trying to look up videos later and wonder what's with the circular knitting needles....I figured "make ring" covers all the bases.