Help Understanding Doily Pattern

HostileInspiration

Question

Hello! I am currently making my first doily, and I have gotten to the 13th round and came across some wording that I can't figure out. Usually I can look it up online and cross reference the doily template and figure it out from there. I was wondering if anyone will be able to help me? The pattern is a flower on flower doily and I am nearing the end of the petals on the first flower. This is what it states:

Rnd 13: Sl st into next dc, ch 6 (counts as dc and ch 3), sc in ch-3 sp, make 3 loops (of chain 5, sc in nest loop), ch 3, dc in 2nd dc, ch 3, sc in sp, repeat from * around; join to 3rd of the ch-6.

I am having trouble figuring out the bold part of this round, but as i was typing this out i noticed that there wasn't a beginning * to let me know where to start repeating. Any Ideas?

Note: I am unable to upload the pattern or a picture of what/where i am at in the process. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

7 answers to this question

It's just what it says.  Remember, a chain doesn't go into a stitch, chains 'float' in the air between stitches so it sounds like a lot of stitches into the chain space, but not really. 

Also, commonly when it says to do something 'in' a chain space, you put the stitches around the space - treat the air gap under the chain space as the spot you insert your hook, instead of under the top 2 loops of a stitch as usual.  

I assume 'nest' was a typo--so into (edit, meaning around) the next chain space, you sc, ch5, sc, ch5, sc,ch5, sc, ch5, sc,ch5, sc.  So this is going to look very loopy, I'm guessing the next round is either going to put a lot of stitches into those loops, or there may be several rounds of loops ahead -- I make a lot of doilies and I'm convinced this is a way designers allow for correction of everyone's different stitch height gauge, you can pull an area of chain loops tight to adjust for ruffling or not so tight to adjust for cupping, as everyone has a different stitch height gauge.

What doily pattern are you making?

edited to correct the # of chain loop repeats, sorry if I caused any confusion before Bgs caught my error...

Edited by Granny Square

That's lovely!  This is a perfect example of "lots of chain loop rows", between the center flower and the outer flower. 

It's also going to be BIG if you are using #10 thread, it calls for #50 thread (to make an 18" doily), and #10 is the more common stuff you find in stores nowadays.  I think sewing machine thread is close to #50?  It mentions using #30 or #20 if you want a bigger doily, too bad it doesn't say how big it would end up with those thicker threads.

HostileInspiration, I apologize.  I deleted what I'd written earlier in this spot after making a swatch of the pattern with just 2 central petals (so more or less 1 repeat of the pattern), and I realized I'd misinterpreted what it was saying and had assumed make 3 loops (of chain 5, sc in next loop) meant to do all of that bolded stuff ALL in the next (1) loop so the next loop would end up with 3 loops into it - not an impossible thing to do but the pattern meant "*chain 5, sc in the next loop; repeat from * twice".  So basically you are making a simple chain mesh instead of a loopy 'mess'.  Below is what it looks like thru round 13, between 2 petals.  (Yikes, sorry it's so big!  The stitches may look a little different as I was turning every row after the center.

scan0006.jpg

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1