Reduce Size of Child Sweater

Ita Ang

Question

Back again. 

I found a lovely free sweater pattern at Hobby Lobby. It is made for size (4): 14-1/2” long x 16-1/2” at the bottom; laying flat.

I am assuming that this means the pattern is for a children’s size 4 and I would like to make this for a size (2) of 2T, if they are the same thing. A two year old.

Do I just cut the number of stitches in half? Or is there some mathematical formula that will determine this 2T size?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Angela

99E32F2E-9755-4980-AD08-35B7256FCC3E.jpeg

1F2202F6-097D-45E1-BA98-DFE4B22C4EFC.jpeg

5 answers to this question

Unfortunately, you can't just cut the # of stitches in half, you can't scale up (or down) patterns like that.  Babies have different body proportions to adults, that changes thru the years in a not symmetrical way.  You can't alter adult patterns that way either; if I gained 100 pounds, my arms and legs are still the same length for example, and my arms won't have necessarily expanded at the same proportion as my waist line.

What sets this pattern off are the bobbles, I think; I'd look for a similar pattern in size 4 and try to figure out how to evenly space bobbles around.  I'll see if I can find a similar cardigan for a 4 year old that might work...

This cardigan is in DC like the other pattern, is not a v-neck but covers a lot of sizes including  https://hearthookhome.com/infant-bomber-cardi-crochet-pattern-12-month/  It looks like an easy construction, scroll down you can see it's in 1 piece (although you have to break the yarn and re-start in a couple of places, the only seam is at the shoulders.

Edited by Granny Square

Thanks for the help. I am hoping to find a sweater for a two-year old, maybe I didn’t explain it. Correctly.

I will look at the link though and see if I can work it out. I have done a bit of sewing for adults and children and do understand that the proportions change. For kids, though, I though the main difference would be that their arms would get longer; not as much change in the girth. And their torso would lengthen, and maybe widen a little.

Hmm. The pattern may pose some more challenge but I really like it. Maybe it is out there in a smaller size.

If I find it I will share or maybe I will do the math. Yuk!

Gotcha.  By the way, I mis-read the info on that link I gave you - I thought it was 1 pattern with instructions for several sizes all in 1 pattern, but it was 1 pattern with LINKS to the other sizes, my bad. Scroll down...

Edited by Granny Square