Confused by Ricorumi crochet patern

saehb

Question

Hi! I was wondering if you could help me? I’m doing a Ricorumi pattern for a small bunny. On one of the round instructions (round 10-12) it says “36 sts” as apposed to a type of stitch. I do not understand what it means? 

it goes 

“Round 9: [4 dc, 2 dc into next st] 6 times. 36sts”

”Round 10-12: 36sts”

Any ideas?

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

The designer is using brackets in an odd way.  I'd rewrite it as: 

“Round 9: *1 dc into each of the next 4 stitches, 2 dc into next st; repeat 5 more times. 36sts”

This takes each set of 5 stitches, and turns them into 6 by adding 1 in each 5th stitch, and 6 sets of 6 is 36.  (the '36 sts' at the end is a sanity check stitch count for that round)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!

The designer is using brackets in an odd way.  I'd rewrite it as: 

“Round 9: *1 dc into each of the next 4 stitches, 2 dc into next st; repeat 5 more times. 36sts”

This takes each set of 5 stitches, and turns them into 6 by adding 1 in each 5th stitch, and 6 sets of 6 is 36.  (the '36 sts' at the end is a sanity check stitch count for that round)

Okay, so what do you suggest I do for rounds 10-12? As it only says “rounds 10-12: 36 sts”.

do I repeat round 9’s instructions for 10-12 or something else? sorry for the questions and if I sound dumb, but I’m super confused haha 

Pattern is not terribly well written.  Since round 9 was all dc and it doesnt say you are left to assume rounds 10-12 would also be dc--- one dc in each dc of previous round.  There will be 36 stitches in each of rounds 10, 11, 12.

I am also thinking this pattern is using uk terms?

Edited by bgs
  • Thanks 1

No such thing as a dumb question, just a new thing you haven't run into before. 

I agree with Bgs that it is pretty terse, it's giving you the relevant info but not spelling things out--except for the brackets, it reads like I'd expect to see in a vintage pattern (like, 1950s and earlier).  More current patterns tend to spell things out more (like my re-writing of that line above).  

Sometimes you have to put on your Sherlock Holmes hat and pull out your mental magnifying glass to figure out the clues a pattern is giving you in place of spelled-out instructions.

BGS pointed out the clues in this case so you can proceed on this pattern, and also learn to recognize clues to solve a pattern mystery the next time.

Clue: the stitch count on row 9 is the same as the following 3 rows.  Deduction:  there are no increases. 

Clue:  no mention of changing stitch type.  Deduction: continue with the same stitch as before. 

Another clue is look at the pattern photo--what is going on at that spot in the pattern?  Does it look like all the same stitch, and that it seems to be not getting wider at that point?

• Thanks 1