Blanket to narrow

EstheB

Question

5 answers to this question

Hello and Welcome! :)

Did you made that whole blanket? or just part of that blanket?. If is just a part I would rip that for sure and start over again (wider). If you made that whole blanket that is up to you what you will want to do?.  In some cases maybe would be Ok to crochet two strips using different color of yarn and stitch them to each side. Than crochet a border around I am not sure if you would like that ??.

The way I see that...You got 3 choices: a) leave the way it is b) rip and start over again c) maybe those added stripes to each side would work??

Who knows maybe there is a fourth choice that I do not know about? LOL.

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl

Welcome to the 'ville!

Have you finished it, or are just a couple of inches into it and realize it's too narrow?  If it's 'just a couple of inches into it', start over.

If you have finished it or are 99% done and don't want to start over, the only thing you can do is keep going  for the length you want,  and then work into each side of the blanket and add the same measurement on each side - same measurement meaning, if it is 1 foot too narrow, add 6" on each side for example. Since it is all SC so far, make the side 'wings' in DC, or try alternating DC and SC, that is a decorative stitch and is really easy.  First row: *sc, dc, repeat.  Subsequent rows: do the turning scheme appropriate or the first stitch, and DC into the SCs. SC into the DCs.

If you decide to work into the sides, SCs are almost square but not quite, they are a bit wider than tall, so if you work into the sides you might have to either skip a stitch every so often, or make a 2 stitch decrease (this would look better, I think).  Whatever it takes to keep it flat, it may start to ripple because stitch 'bottoms' are wider than the shorter stitch height at the sides of the SCs.

I like your idea- same color on sides. About my idea I was thinking about different color for those sides and maybe different color (third color in that blanket) for edging (that would be third color) BUY that depends for who is that blanket made. If is for a woman or a girl that maybe like flowers??.  I would crochet applique flower/ flowers (in a corner) in those two different colors. Like Pink & green or Blue & green maybe even Red & green? ( green for leaves)

If that blanket is for a guy or someone dos not care for appliques your idea (same color on sides) would be a lot better LOL..

Krys

True, different color on the sides would be an especially be a good idea if there wasn't enough of the original dye lot; I was just thinking of a way to make it look like it was planned, not an 'oops, it was too narrow so I added to the sides".  Changing the stitches to a less plain pattern for the sides (but still easy for a beginner) was supposed to be the disguise :lol 

Or even side stripes, alternating a second color with the original, that might look planned...or a transition of narrow stripes of original/new color stripes to a second color for the outer width if you need to buy more yarn and can't get the same dye lot, that could be masculine depending on the colors.

Edited by Granny Square