How do I skip stitches without chaining?!

ChloeB

Question

Hi guys,

I’m new to crochet so please bare with me!

I am making a cat cave with a free online pattern - here: http://www.eilentein.com/2012/05/pesa.html?m=1

It is asking me to crochet single stitches halfway around my circular pattern and then skip ten stitches, cut the wool and then carry on single stitches. I need to do this for 7 rows. I’ve cut my wool but for the life of me I can’t work out how to cast on to start my single stitches again! How do I do this? Do I need to make a new loop on my hook and loop through a hole? Why doesn’t this make sense to me! Any videos or visuals would be dreamy. 

Thank you in advance.

Chloe x

2 answers to this question

What BGS mentioned, attaching with a slip stitch, is how I attached a new yarn for decades, it works fine and is what I still use most of the time. 

Then I learned about a 'standing stitch', which you described above - "Do I need to make a new loop on my hook and loop through a hole?"  Standing stitch: put a slip knot on the hook as you usually would, insert the hook in the top of the indicated stitch, pull up a loop, and complete the stitch (you said single stitch - I assume US SC.  (If it were a taller stitch you'd yarn over first)  Really it's not so different than stitching normally except there's not an adjacent  stitch to the right.  If my description didn't make sense, google 'standing double crochet' and there will be tutorials that will help you visualize it.  I think the standing stitch is a tiny bit cleaner looking, but probably only you would notice the difference.