I don't understand what I'm doing wrong

DazIsConfused

Question

I have been working on this project for 3 months now and no matter how many time I restart I get the same result. If you haven't noticed the project looks lopsided like its leaning to the right; I have tried changing the stitches, and redoing the foundation but none of it is working.

There are 83 stitches in each row I've recounted quite a bit of times just to make sure I wasn't adding or subtracting. At this point I'm at a loss, and my OCD will not allow me to move on. 

20200816_171355.jpg

2 answers to this question

It looks like you are adding stitches on the right side of the photo but not on the left - I'm not understanding how your stitch count can be constant.  See below, I picked an arbitrary stitch a few stitches from the right bottom edge and drew a line between it and it's neighbor to the right, you can see what I mean.

adding stitches.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

If you're certain you have the correct number of stitches....I have had this happen on a project myself and I don't recall that I ever figured out what caused it.  Somehow what I did on one edge made it lean, even though I felt I was doing the same thing on each edge.

Re counting, I will say that in order to count anything more than about thirty sts, I usually have to count by tens or twenties and place markers, to be sure I've counted right.  

are you following a pattern?  If so tell us its title and where it is.  If you are creating your own pattern tell us more about what you're doing, stitches used etc.  

also, what exact yarn are you using?  Depending on the yarn, sometimes laundering/blocking can help and you can do that anytime, you don't have to wait til it is finished.