Mrs

Nicnak23000

Question

I'm a bit of a novice so this might be really obvious but I'm a bit stuck on my UK pattern. It asks me to go from 9 stitches to 15 stitches by doing the following:

inc, dc into next stitch (dc, htr into next stitch) inc using htr twice, (htr, dc into next stitch) dc into next stitch, inc in next and dc into last.

I'm really confused by their use of commas and brackets and no matter how I try, I can't make 15 from 9. I know what all the abbreviations and stitches are, just not what to do when!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! 

2 answers to this question

Everytime you see inc you are making 2 stitches into one stitch of previous row.  Pattern not really written as well as it should be because we have to assume what some of the inc stitches are.  I am guessing dc so: 

2 dc in one stitch of previous row

dc in next stitch

dc and htr in next stitch

2 htr in next stitch

2 htr in next stitch

htr and dc in next stitch

dc in next stitch

2 dc in next stitch

dc in last stitch

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern

Scroll down a little past half way to 'parentheses, asterisks, and brackets' -  the above site is by the group that sets or records the US standards for pattern writing 'grammar'.  I know this is a UK pattern, but the conventions are similar, and this pattern is using the parentheses in the same was as the link explains in the last paragraph of that section, a group of stitches to make into 1 stitch.

Edited by Granny Square