Zandra

Zandra

Hello all, my name is Zandra and I live in Hot Springs, AR.  I’m 70 and my mother was an expert at crochet, I was into quilting.   When we had to move from our house to a condo I started to work puzzles an read.   I’m puzzled out and just about read out.  

Decided to crochet, bought some books, patterns (easy) hooks and yarn.  I have no problem doing the basic stitches and understanding the picture instructions and written instruction.  However, I have found out that my easy pattern (Leisure Arts - Shells and Lace Afghan) seems to be beyond me.  I am lost when I get to Row 2 - sad but true.  Row two says  -  Ch 1, turn; sc in same st, (ch 4, sk next 3 sc, sc in next sc) across: 44 loops.

I don’t understand how to sc in my turning chain (I’m crocheting into the top of the chain).  Also, do I repeat the bracketed instructions across the remaining chain.

if someone could help me, I would reallllly appreciate it.

Is it this one? https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shells-and-lace-baby-wrap

It's not impossible to chain 1, turn, and crochet into the chain.  Awkward, yes, and a very unusual thing to do, but not impossible.  

However, crocheting into the chain would not have occurred to me reading " Ch 1, turn; sc in same st" because (1) in SC, the normal way to turn in plain SC is to chain 1 and SC into the first (non chain) stitch you encounter, the ch1 turning chain does not count as a stitch unlike the turning chain for other stitches* (2) crocheting into the chain would be so unusual that the pattern should have been very specifically spelled out stitch into the turning chain.

*For a US DC for example, the normal turning protocol is: chain 3, turn, skip the first (non-chain) stitch you encounter and DC into the following stitch.  For US DC the 3 chains count as a stitch, and 'act like' they are 'made into' the first stitch (even tho they aren't) which is why you have to skip the first stitch to avoid adding a stitch.

No, not the one I have.  I found it on the leisure arts site.  Shells and Lace Afghan.  Says it was first published in Leaflet 1292, Victorian Beauties 2008.  Designer is Terry Kimbrough.  I didn’t find any example of it on the pattern.

Hi Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.😁