Looking for a watchcap hat pattern please.

Charna

Question

Hello, I had been having trouble finding a watch cap pattern for my husband. I found one from an online helper on Ravelry. I have tried unsuccessfully to crochet it. I've posted my question about it on the need help forum on this site. But if anyone has a good pattern for crocheting a simple man's watch cap, please do share. Thanks kindly, Charna

3 answers to this question

Hi, and welcome to the 'ville.  I saw your other 2 posts re: a particular problem you are having with, I'll take a look at that pattern next..

Meanwhile, you can make your DH a hat without a pattern.  Measure his head around where the brim would sit (a circle across the forehead & around the back of the neck, etc).  For the circumference of a circle, which heads (or hats are) around, the formula is pi x diameter.  So, my head circumference of 22", I happen to already know 22 divided by 3.14 is 7" within a thousandth of an inch--so measure and do the math for your hubby.

Most crocheted hats are made from the crown down to the brim, and they start with a flat circle with the correct diameter, and then are worked without increasing until you get the depth you want.  To make a flat circle in plain SC: start with 6 in the first round, and add 6 in each round; in DC, start with 12 and add 12 each round.  So in either stitch, if you were making a hat for me, you'd want to make a circle as close as you can to 7" (slightly under is OK, better to stretch slightly than be loose).

Here is a tutorial that covers making flat center-out circles to get you started.

Did you see this pattern?  This is intriguing, it's also worked vertically but all in ribbing with shaping at the top to avoid the usual gather.  The first hat I ever made (knit) was just a ribbed rectangle, sewn up the side and gathered at the top, with a pom-pom, which you sort of needed to cover up the gather.