Can it be doubled

Tevia5

Question

Hi there. I am crocheting a blanket for my grandson. I am using Bernat stripes.   It is a very lightweight yarn and I would like to double the yarn.  I have a few questions.  Firstly, can I do this.  Secondly, would I need to adjust my pattern.  I am doing the entire blanket in SC. Should I change my hook size?

Thank you

1 answer to this question

Yes, yes, and yes.  :lol 

The 'hard part' is easy, adjusting your pattern.  Make a swatch, 6 inches square, using your biggest hook - maybe a K? - with the yarn doubled.  You may have to experiment to get the fabric you like with a bigger hook, but guessing probably not smaller than a J or K.  edit--Just looked this up, I was thinking worsted weight which usually calls for something like a G or H hook but this is super bulky, and already calls for an L hook, --yes you will need a hook several sizes bigger than that.  

Unravel your swatch, and measured the length, that will give you the yardage for 1 quarter of a square foot, so you can multiply that by 4 for 1 square foot...if you want a 3' x 4' baby blanket, that's 12 sq. ft. for example.  That will tell you about how many yards you will need, and double that since you will have measured 2 strands held it double.  This yarn has 220 yards per ball, so you'll need to figure out how many skeins you will need by dividing the doubled number by 220.