Adding sleeves to an angel wing dress

Pinemom

Question

I’m getting a little adventurous and am trying to add sleeves to a pattern that I found of my grandmother’s. It’s handwritten and very similar to this little princess dress. Grandma is no longer with us and I’m trying to make her dress for her great granddaughter. Only I would like to put in sleeves so that she will be able to wear it at Christmas. Would I just add sleeves like for a normal yoke and then make shell stitches? Would  the arm holes be too big? They seem rather large.

B99163C1-AA29-4801-A6C4-086EF50F43CE.jpeg

2 answers to this question

I think I'd omit some of the increases at the top of each shoulder, but it should work.  You don't want the armhole too tight, you need room to move your arms around.

You'll probably want to find a pattern with sleeves that has a diagram for the measurements--not to make, but to know how long it should be from underarm to wrist, and the measurement at the wrist.  I'll see if I can find one...

OK, this is knitted, and a pullover not a dress, but I was looking for sleeve dimensions - scroll down about half  way, you'll see that it is made in a similar way (yoke).  And it's in centimeters, sorry my google-fu isn't working well but this will get you there.  The sizes by year are listed near the top, to make sense of the numbers  "(Sizes: 12/18 months (2 - 3/4 - 5/6 - 7/8 - 9/10 - 11/12) years"

https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=8793&cid=17