Translation help for pattern!

OMGurumii

Question

Hi!

So I am creating an apple jack amigurumi (from my little pony). I am writing my pattern in english but there is one thing i can't seem to find a certain word for.
If you check a picture of the character apple jack, her cowboy hat has a little whole in the front of the brim. Is there a name for that "hole" or how do you explain it? Dent? Brim-hole? Cut?

Thanks for your help!
/Sandra

2 answers to this question

I had to look up the character.  That isn't a feature of any 'real' cowboy hat that I've ever seen, not that I'm an expert but we live at the edge of a rural-ish area, including pasture land and you do see plenty of western gear in stores and on people.

A 'dent' to me is a 3-D shape 'folded' from a flat shape, not a piece of missing material.  That sort of hat typically has 1 or more 'dents' in the top of the crown, the top isn't perfectly flat.  Google 'top of a cowboy hat', actually there are a lot of variations.  I couldn't find a pic of Applejack that showed the top of the hat, but ran across 'Equestria' and her hat seemed to have the style of 1 'dent' (I'd call it a crease) across the top of the hat, front to back.  But that wasn't your question...

I think I would describe the front shape in Applejack's hat as a 'circular cut-out', even if there is a proper term--there would be no mistaking what was meant.  It's not quite a 'hole', in that (to me) that would be an area punched out in the middle of fabric, not a description of a not-straight side of the fabric.

Edited by Granny Square

That is funny about a hole and a hat. Few days ago I actually have seen a guy wearing a Cowboy hat with a real hole right on the front. You could put your finger thru!. I did told him: he should loose that hat! LOL.

He is a stockbroker I do not know how on earth he expects for people to take him seriously??. Rest of  his clothes were bad looking too.

Krys