Lace pattern need help

Amycrochet

Question

Working a 2 row repeat lace pattern. Need help on the repeat row 1.....

row 1 - sc in first st, (sk next 2 sts, (dc, ch 5, dc) in next st, sk next 2 sts, sc in next st) across turn. 

row 2 - ch 5 (counts as first dc, ch 2) dc in first sc, (Sc in next chain 5 sp, (dc, ch 5, dc) in next sc) across, sc in next ch5 sp, (dc, ch2, dc) in las sc, turn. 

question-on the row 1 repeat am I counting the chain 5 as stitches and sc or dc, ch 5, sc in the stitches ?? Or is this essentially a row 2 repeat?

4 answers to this question

Not 100% certain, but I would interpret the repeat for row 1 is the stuff in the (outer) parentheses; this is a little unconventionally written; I'd expect Annie's Attic patterns to use asterisks.  As in:

row 1 - sc in first st, *sk next 2 sts, (dc, ch 5, dc) in next st, sk next 2 sts, sc in next st across turn. 
row 2 - ch 5 (counts as first dc, ch 2) dc in first sc, *Sc in next chain 5 sp, (dc, ch 5, dc) in next sc across, sc in next ch5 sp, (dc, ch2, dc) in last sc, turn. 

Row 1 is repeated all the way across.  The row 2 repeat stops short of the end, and the underlined part is a different ending, in other words the repeat stops where the underlined starts.  The wording tells you that subtly, the repeat stops at the word 'across' near the end.

I located it on Ravelry, I think----is this it? https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/denim-pullover

There are errata for it, (which looks like it adds a row 3 and then says to repeat row 2 and 3) so does that help with the question?   https://www.crochet-world.com/revisions.php?issue_date=2008-12-01#correction6

edit to add---if you bought it from e-patterns central, I think they should have added the corrections there!  

Edited by magiccrochetfan