I Want That Perfect, Smooth Look

Libits2

Question

Hi everyone!  I just finished a shawl and since it will be donated to a hospice center to be sold for their own profit, I want to make sure it’s attractive and sellable.  I don’t think I need to block it because the dimensions are fine but it needs………….something.  You know what crochet projects look like when you lightly run your hand over them and make everything perfectly flat?  That’s what I want.  How do I accomplish that?  I have a small steamer if that will help.  Or a light ironing?

1 answer to this question

What is it made of?  If it's acrylic, keep the iron in the closet.  Or, make some swatches and play with 'killing them', but it destroys the yarn (IMHO).  The plastic doesn't melt into molten goo, but it deforms into a crunchy limp non stretchy fabric.  Others may tell you that 'killing' acrylic is the bees knees, but...try it first on a swatch.  A shawl wouldn't be the worst thing to 'kill' because non-stretchy woven shawls are functional as well, but you wouldn't want to kill a garment like a hat or pullover because it won't stretch or retract any more.

You don't need to stretch things to block them.  You know when you buy a garment and it says 'hand wash, lay flat to dry?'  Do the 'lay flat to dry' part.  Lay down a clean 'tarp' (or plastic tablecloth - I have used a clear tablecloth I found at the Dollar Store, which are almost as thin as saran wrap but works fine) on the top of a guest bed, or floor, wet the shawl, gently squeeze excess water out and pat it into shape and let it air dry--if you have rust proof pins you can pin to shape or to emphasize lace, but you don't have to stretch it.  You can take a hair drier at a distance to speed drying, that won't kill acrylic if you keep the heat far enough away.

Or all of the above will work with cotton or wool, as well.  I've blocked wool prior to seaming--no stretching just the 'wetting patting it nicely into shape' as you described - neatening it like that it helps tame it a bit for sewing up.