Working a cylinder

Gingi

Question

Hello,

I am starting the creation of a vest that is crocheted in a cylinder.

What is causing confusion is the instruction to turn the work. I know how to turn a flat crochet work, but I am not quite sure how to do it with a cylinder and I don't understand why it is required.

Here is a transcript of the instructions:

With colour A, ch 60 loosely. Taking care not to twist ch, join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.

Round 1: Ch 1 sc in each ch around; join with sl st in first sc, ch 1, turn -  60 sts

Round 2-5 With colour A *sc in next st, dcin next st; repeat from * around, change to colour B in last st; join with sl st in first sc, ch1, turn

I have highlighted in red the instructions that confuse me.

I appreciate your insights!

Thank you

Gingi

7 answers to this question

There's 2 ways to work in a cylinder. 

One, in a spiral, which is stitching round and round with the same side facing, working your way slowly uphill, not in flat, discrete rounds.  A downside of working in a spiral can be, depending on the pattern, is that the top loops of crochet stitches don't sit directly on top of the stitch, which causes a bias if you are working in a spiral--the stitches will appear to drift to the right.  This would mess up colorwork patterns and would not work for stripes because there would be an obvious jog at the beginning and end point, not a nice even, flat, horizontal stripe.  Also, there is a different appearance between the front and back side of the work.

Two, which is what is called for here, is to join the round (by slip stitch-connecting the last stitch of this round to the first stitch of this round), chain 1 for the turning chain, and turn, so the next stitch you make will be in top of the last stitch made in the prior round.  There is still a bias, but because you are turning each round, the bias alternates direction and cancels each other out.  There is also no right and  wrong side of the fabric as far as stitch appearance goes, although a pattern might designate a 'right side' for the purpose of a later instruction.

Now, your pattern.  I have a little issue with the way it is written.  Normally you would make 1 extra chain for a turning chain, so it should have begun with "chain 61.  Round 1: sc in the second chain from hook and in each following chain to the end (60 sc made).  join, ch1 turn (60 sc made)

I'm not sure if I'm clearing up your confusion, but except for the initial number of chains, follow the pattern word for word, there is a reason for doing this.

Hello Granny Square, thank you very much for the clarification.

So in terms of turning, I understand I do not need to actually turn the cylinder to start on the next round?
Looking at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIWf4iXk_gM

(you can skip to '4.20) the crocheter starts the next round without turning the work at all. She just continues with the first stitch of the previous round. Which happens to be the nearest to the slip stitch.

Edited by Gingi
Added link

Hi, I am not GrannySquare obviously but I will give my answer.  You DO  need to turn.  The pattern wouldn't say to turn if it weren't important.  Just turn the work so you can go back in the opposite direction.  This will keep the stitch pattern correct and looking the same as the areas where you can't work in the round.  You may be stitching from inside the circle at this point.  It may seem awkward but it's a very common way to make a garment.  

It is possible to build a cylinder without turning but that is not what your pattern calls for.  By the way, what is the name and location of your pattern?  

Edited by magiccrochetfan

^ What she said. 

You mentioned a video, but didn't link one.  I'm curious why the written instructions don't match the video.  You are going to get a very different 'look' turning versus not turning. 

If you slst the last stitch to the first, chain up, don't turn, and work in the same direction you did in the first round, the 'seam' where the ends of the rounds meet will be very noticeably drifting off to the right, which is unsightly.

If you slst the last stitch to the first, chain up and turn and work back in the other direction, the 'seam' where the ends of the rounds meet will be vertical.  Vertical seams are preferable, because people expect to see vertical seams on sewn fabric things.

3 hours ago, magiccrochetfan said:

Hi, I am not GrannySquare obviously but I will give my answer.  You DO  need to turn.  The pattern wouldn't say to turn if it weren't important.  Just turn the work so you can go back in the opposite direction.  This will keep the stitch pattern correct and looking the same as the areas where you can't work in the round.  You may be stitching from inside the circle at this point.  It may seem awkward but it's a very common way to make a garment.  

It is possible to build a cylinder without turning but that is not what your pattern calls for.  By the way, what is the name and location of your pattern?  

Hello Magiccrochetfan,

Thank you for your advice. 
The pattern comes from a book called: Crochet in a Day for baby by Candi Jensen.
So in terms of turning the work, I understand that I need to turn so that the reverse side of the fabric is facing.
This is such an unexpected thing to do. Crochet is really an astonishing hobby! 😀

I will start with a sample to see how it works out. The actual pattern starts with 60 chains, which is enormous for beginner me.
But I am up for the challenge as I am ready to move forward from granny squares!

3 hours ago, Granny Square said:

^ What she said. 

You mentioned a video, but didn't link one.  I'm curious why the written instructions don't match the video.  You are going to get a very different 'look' turning versus not turning. 

If you slst the last stitch to the first, chain up, don't turn, and work in the same direction you did in the first round, the 'seam' where the ends of the rounds meet will be very noticeably drifting off to the right, which is unsightly.

If you slst the last stitch to the first, chain up and turn and work back in the other direction, the 'seam' where the ends of the rounds meet will be vertical.  Vertical seams are preferable, because people expect to see vertical seams on sewn fabric things.

Hello Granny Square,

The video actually doesn't relate to the pattern of my book.
It is simply a video I found as I was scouring the internet for how to crochet a cylinder.
So indeed, I would need to find one for working a cylinder with turns.

But I think it is all clearer now. 
I'm going to give it a try!

Thank you for your advice!

Ah, that makes more sense (why video didn't match pattern).  The pic on your link shows the 'jog' I mentioned earlier, the top and bottom aren't a smooth line.  Good luck with your pattern, I think it will make more sense once you 'do' a round or 2.

Edited by Granny Square