Help with pattern please!!!

adrienz

Question

Hello all! 

I have a bit of an unusual question I am hoping to get some expert help with!! 

My grandmother was always a fantastic crocheter and my inspiration to start crocheting! She is now 97 and suffering from terrible dementia, and I am just sick that I never asked her for her pattern for these zig zag afghans :( I know they are not rocket science, but I’ve scoured the Internet for all sorts of patterns but none of them seem to be coming out the same as my grandmas 😕 Sadly, she cannot remember anything of the pattern - she remembers that she used to make them, and I even tried to bring her some yarn and a hook to see if we could tap into “muscle memory” but no :( so it would really mean a lot for me to be able to recreate these as closely as possible, and I think for my family too! I would love to make an Afghan for my grandma - she still remembers me and I think it would make her smile  

i took a bunch of photos of my blanket that she made over 20 years ago. I think the yarn is a 4 - but I took a photo of it next to an I (5.25mm) hook in case I misjudged the size. The stitches are not complicated, but I can’t tell if they are single or half double stitches? Also most patterns I’ve seen online have some sort of _____ stitches, then 3 stitches in the same stitch, then repeat _____ stitches, then skip 2 stitches to make the up and down pattern. I also can’t tell if the stitches are back row only maybe? 

ANY help or ideas would be really appreciated! Thanks so much everyone!! 

67541D74-895A-4050-9DB3-D444C7F13237.jpeg

90C3AEB9-25CE-45B7-8096-0FFFD51F2E7A.jpeg

DAB3E09C-29ED-4212-A5C7-F480CCB0E6E9.jpeg

CDD192A3-71EC-49AC-BAF8-A3D5B429A0E3.jpeg

D90DDC7F-036A-4835-B825-9413BDF059CE.jpeg

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

I can give you a 'recipe' for this, luckily this is a pretty classic pattern style.

Nowadays ripples seem to be commonly done in DC, probably because they 'go quicker'.  Vintage patterns that I've seen seem to have mostly been in SC (I am using US terms).  

The 'recipe': if you look at it, a repeat is a hilltop, hillside down, valley, hillside up.

Each hillside is the same number of stitches whichever direction it's slanting. (often 8, but not always)

Each hilltop adds the same number of stitches (often 2) as the valley bottom decreases by.   Example, putting 3 stitches in the center stitch of the hilltop increases by 2, and stitching 3 together also decreases by 2 (the increase uses 1 to make 3, so 2 added; stitching 3 together makes 1 stitch top remaining, so using 3 but ending with 1.)  A variation would be to put a 'V' stitch in the hilltop's center stitch (stitch, chain, stitch), which leaves a little gap, which it looks like your grandmother might have done.  Or could also be done in the valley, instead of stitching 3 together, over  the bottom 3 stitches stitch the first and third stitch, leaving the center bottom valley stitch unworked, to leave a hole.

Vintage patterns done in SC were often done in the back loop of the stitch, which makes the ridge - this might be the part that you overlooked trying to duplicate the look of your grandmother's blanket.  My first ripple (way pre-internet) was from an old pattern, done this way.

I will try to find a free vintage SC ripple pattern, will be back.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1

Here is one - obviously you don't need to follow their color scheme :lol https://freevintagecrochet.com/free-afghan-patterns/bernhard45/ripple-afghan-and-pillow-pattern

I found a couple of others, one deeper and the other shorter 'mountains' than yours, the above one looked the closest.  BUT, if you want to vary the size of the mountain, just add stitches to the hillsides.

• Thanks 1