Seeking Yarn Recommendation

Cornflake27

Hi! I'm new to crochet, and just finished my first project - a slouchy shell hat using Lion Brand Wool Ease in Gold with a size K hook. I'm looking for a yarn recommendation for a second project.

This is for my dad, who is bald. He's not particularly sensitive, but of course I don't want it to be itchy, either. It needs something washable since there's no hair to take on whatever oils, sweat, etc. Generally, he's pretty casual - t-shirts/hoodies with jeans, or tactical gear.

I'm definitely open to something bulkier if that's the best way to go, but I did try another project with a heavier yarn (I think it was the Wool Ease Thick & Quick) and had a harder time with it. I should maybe stay with the #4 weight and the K hook... It could have been the stitches on that one, or the hook, and not actually the yarn, though.

Anyway, I'm mostly looking for yarn recommendations for this case, but if you have pattern recommendations for a casual guys' hat or tips in general, please help! :) Thank you!

I've used Plymouth Encore https://www.plymouthyarn.com/yarn/encore-worsted-item-611 for a hat for a bald man, it's very soft but wears well and is warm.  The neon orange pretty much qualifies as a hunter orange, if that's of interest.  They don't carry it at the chain stores, but many local yarn shops have it, or you can order it online lots of places.  

Welcome to the Ville!  

3 minutes ago, magiccrochetfan said:

I've used Plymouth Encore https://www.plymouthyarn.com/yarn/encore-worsted-item-611 for a hat for a bald man, it's very soft but wears well and is warm.  The neon orange pretty much qualifies as a hunter orange, if that's of interest.  They don't carry it at the chain stores, but many local yarn shops have it, or you can order it online lots of places.  

Welcome to the Ville!  

Thank you, Kathy! I will check it out. He wants a black or gray, so hopefully it won't be too hard to see what I'm doing. :P 

Welcome to the 'Ville! One of my all time favorites is Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice. I've made many hats, scarves and afghans with it with great results. Another Lion Brand yarn I like is "Feels Like Butta". It is so soft and works well on hats.  If you have access to a Hobby Lobby, their "I Love This Yarn" is soft also but, a few colors can fray easily. Hope this helps.

17 hours ago, ReniC said:

Welcome to the 'Ville! One of my all time favorites is Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice. I've made many hats, scarves and afghans with it with great results. Another Lion Brand yarn I like is "Feels Like Butta". It is so soft and works well on hats.  If you have access to a Hobby Lobby, their "I Love This Yarn" is soft also but, a few colors can fray easily. Hope this helps.

Thank you, Reni! I have heard of both of those but didn't know if they were any good. Thanks for the heads up on I Love This Yarn; since I'm new to this, I'm still taking out a fair amount of stitches so fraying would definitely happen!

On 9/25/2019 at 6:06 AM, Cornflake27 said:

Thank you, Reni! I have heard of both of those but didn't know if they were any good. Thanks for the heads up on I Love This Yarn; since I'm new to this, I'm still taking out a fair amount of stitches so fraying would definitely happen!

You're welcome. I forgot to mention that Red Heart's yarns are great for starting out (and inexpensive), especially if there is a lot of "frogging". Some people hate it because it is not super soft before washing. I still use it to this day. Even after washing (I add softener), it stays durable. I especially like the Red Heart "Soft" and the Red Heart "With Love" yarns. They are pretty soft to start out with.

• 5 months later...

Caron simply soft. Great for beginners, lots of colors, and super soft.
I also love the Bernat blanket/baby blanket line: super soft, great for beginners (I learned with it), and washes very well. It’s the only yarn my mother in law uses! It’s a 6 bulky yarn, but if you got an L, M, or N hook, you would do just fine with the bigger yarns. It’s the smaller hook that’s giving you problems.