Turban - Knit Help (not a Crochet Project)

DAISY808

Question

This project was sent to me under the topic of another project (Crochet) that I needed help with.  I am learning to Crochet AND to Knit.  I can't find any good Knit boards so I figured I'd just post this here.  I am confused with the instructions that state Row 1 (RS) but then Row 2 there isn't anything.  So I am to do the first row on the right side after I cast on.  I'm not sure which side that is, the bumpy side of the loops only.  But then Row 2 am I still suppose to be on the Right Side?  

In short, are the 1st paragraph of instructions suppose to be Right side working stitches or alternating Right Side then Wrong side?

Manos-del-Uruguay-F27-Turband.pdf

11 answers to this question

Hi, well that pattern looks familiar ;)   You are turning each row, so alternating right and wrong side.   So if row 1 is the right side, row 2 is understood to be the right side (I've never seen a pattern identify more than 1 side, if one is defined as right/public side  the other has to be "wrong"/inside).  I just took my headband out, don't worry you will be able to tell by looking at it after a few rows, on mine at least the edge of the front turns under a little, and looks 'nicer' than the back. 

Edit -you're new to knit, so you know that the K & P stitches are the reverse of each other in appearance, right?

Don't worry, you won't get lost.  When you start row 2 by flipping it over, the stitches you knitted will look like purls, and vice versa.  So on row 2, purl what look like purls and knit what looks like knits, or you might see on other patterns 'purl the purls and knit the knits'---not as you originally MADE them, but how they appear facing you as you are working them.  

The first row is the hardest when you are doing ribbing.  After the first row or round, the existing stitches 'tell you what to do'.

Edited by Granny Square

I am starting out with long tail cast on, so the bumpy side is the "wrong side" and the loopy side is the "right side" correct?  The pattern wants me to start out on the Right side.  I know the Knits from Purls but I just want to make sure that my understanding is correct since I am using the long tail cast on method.

My "right side" loops will be on the left side of the left needle correct.  I've started and started over a couple of times because it just loops like it's bumpy on both sides.  I guess because the pattern alternates between knitting and purling on the same row.

Edited by DAISY808
Correction

LTCO creates a row of knit stitches plus a cast on.  BUT, it doesn't matter, because that , along with the last row of the headband, will be buried in the back seam and won't show on the right side.  Also, I've used that CO to start the bottom edges of sweaters that started with ribbing after the 1 row of knit, and I don't think 1 row of bumps or not at the edge made a difference (you just made me go look at a couple of bottom up sweaters I've made, the edges are different front to back but what ended up in front doesn't look 'wronger' than what ended up in back; actually I'd never given it a thought before).

There is a front and back to the ribbing tho, I'm looking at my headband and it looks like either I chose, or the pattern said, to have the side where the ribbing looks like 3k, 2p as the front.  And on my piece, the top and bottom front edges are knits, and they curl under a little, which makes the front look more finished.

The first couple of rows of ribbing are the hardest, it takes a few rows for it to take shape and I'm really slow and deliberate until about row 3, where it starts to look 'right' and I don't have to pay as much attention because the stitches tell me what to do.   Imagine your are facing a mirror, with a long narrow scarf in your hand.  Put the scarf around the back of your neck, ends in front.   The scarf is a knit stitch (vertical smooth side, or as you said loopy side).  Now, put the scarf across the front of your neck, ends hanging in back.  The scarf is a purl stitch (horizontal bumpy side).  I hope this isn't confusing, but when I first re-learned to knit 10 years ago, this 'visual' helped me.

"My "right side" loops will be on the left side of the left needle correct".  Your question is a little confusing.  The 3 stitches at the left side of your needle after you've finished a row, and 3 stitches at the right, are knits on the right side and purls on the wrong side.  Does that help?

Your 'bumpy on both sides' comment is bothering me.  Let me draw a picture that is an abbreviated version of the headband, with just edges and 1 purl row between them

The stitches that you actually make row by row, space is just for clarity:

kkk pp kkk (right side)

ppp kk ppp (wrong side)

kkk pp kkk (right side)

ppp kk ppp (wrong side)

What the stitches look like on the right side

kkk pp kkk

kkk pp kkk

kkk pp kkk

kkk pp kkk

What the stitches look like on the wrong side - see what I meant by purl the purls and knit the knits as they appear

ppp kk ppp

ppp kk ppp

ppp kk ppp

ppp kk ppp

I understand your 2nd post BUT when get the end of a row it's either an EXTRA knit or an EXTRA purl.   OR I don't get to finish the sequence.  So it will be ppp kk pp something like that.  I have attached picture but they aren't very good.  

Right Side vs Wrong side:  I have to start from the beginning and show you as listed in the picture.  The LOOPS (Long tail) are the left side on the needle soooo when I start knitting my loops should be on the LEFT side of the left needle and I go in with my RIGHT needle.   

I just don't understand from the CAST ON point what does it matter about right side/wrong side because the yarn turns where the bumpy side is turned toward the OTHER needle that I use to go in and make my stitches.

The  1st picture below are the LOOPS and the 2nd picture are the bumps from the long tail cast on.  When I get the other needle which side is the right side or wrong?  What does it matter at this point?

The bottom pictures are when I started the project.  I don't have the same consistency as you listed above because I am either short 1 in the sequence or I have to add another because the piece says to ad another K or P depending on the even or odd row.

Either way.  The last 3 pictures do NOT look like ribbing.  It looks like something kinda like a ribbing technique.  I have a few purls on one side and a few on the other.  Now I read what you listed about what the right side and left side should look like.  Are we talking about from butt of needle to tip or tip to the butt?  Either way my pattern sequence was NOT like this and I've done it 3 times.

IMG_20190709_130740[1].jpg

IMG_20190709_130749[1].jpg

IMG_20190709_124329[1].jpg

IMG_20190709_124340[1].jpg

IMG_20190709_124407[1].jpg

Oh  shoot, I realized I didn't read your whole post, mainly looked at the pictures, and was going to add something and then you replied.

I also lied earlier, because I was looking at my project and not the pattern, and am sorry if I confused you.  I could see that it was a k3, p2 pattern in the middle but I failed to notice that there was an extra stitch on each edge--I think this may be what causes it to curl under at the edge.  Notice on the rows that start and end with knits, that you slip the first stitch knitwise, knit 3 and end with k3 plus an 'extra' knit at the end.  On rows that start with purls, same thing but slip the first stitch purlwise and add an 'extra' purl at the end.  So each end is 4 stitches of the same stitch, but the rest of the pattern is k3, p2 on rows that start with k, and p3, k2 for rows that start with purls.

Something really basic and 'duh', but the last stitch you made has the yarn coming out of it.  If you stop in the middle of a row, put it down and come back the next day, pay attention to where the yarn is, because mid row it's really easy to go off in the wrong direction -- which will make a big hole, which you won't notice until you come back to that spot.  Ask me how I know.  Just throwing this out there, but it might help with 'which side is which' if you put it down in the middle. 

So when you finish a row, all the stitches are on 1 needle, and assuming you are right handed the last stitch, and yarn coming out of it will be on your left.  So you turn that needle over, so the last stitch and the yarn coming out of it are at your right side.  (edit- so that is the first stitch you will want to work onto your empty needle) When in this position, look at your fabric.  What do the first stitches look like, knits or purls?  When you have flipped it in this position, and the first stitches to be worked (on the right side) look like knits, that means you ended the last row in purls.  It also means you want to start with knits...remember, in this pattern you want to knit the knits as they present to you, and purl the purls as they present to you.

I hope I answered your question, and made sense.

Edited by Granny Square

The piece hanging out isn't an unfinished stitch.  It's the tail from the cast on.  I only needed to do 30 so I estimated with the yarn.  I still don't know the right side from left.  The pattern says Row 1 (RS) SI 1 knitwise.  Which side of the needle is Right side from the long tail cast on?  And why would it matter from the 30 cast on.

I hope I didn't add confusion with my the yarn-coming-out-of-the-last-stitch bit, I was just trying to orient you - that's where you will continue where you left off.

The LTCO's tail, and also the yarn coming out of the last stitch, is where your first actual knit stitch will be.  Or, technically, where you will slip your first stitch knitwise.  Because this where you start, and you knit right to left like crochet, you'd position the needle so the working yarn is on the right side of the left hand needle.  The right needle is now empty, but will start filling up when you start to work the first row after the cast on.  

So after you have a few rows done, when you look at your fabric, the right (front) side will be the one with knits on either end, and also the tail will be on the right hand side.