Field of Sunflowers Pattern Help

Lmasci

Question

Hello everyone! I am reading my pattern of "Field of Sunflowers" by Donna Jones and published by Annie's Crochet & Afghan Club.  I am a fairly experienced crocheter but right off the bat I'm having trouble understanding this pattern.  It has instructions for three different motifs but not how many of each or where they are placed.  There is a placement picture on the back page but it doesn't show which goes where it's blank.  I'm probably just missing something obvious but I keep reading and re-reading this pattern and can't figure it out lol - I want to.make this for my sister and I love this afghan.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you.

Lmasci

• Thanks 1

12 answers to this question

I found a picture of the finished blanket, maybe? At the top left http://www.4crafter.com/DIY/Sunflower+afghan_1.html

But, this doesn't look like 3 different motifs, it looks like 1 hexagonal motif with the motifs staggered so you'd have (example) even numbered rows with 5 hexes end to end, and odd numbered rows of 6 or 8 nestled between them.

I've seen hexagonal motifs aligned in a non-staggered way, with a smaller motif in between to fill the gaps, and even smaller motifs to fill in the edges; this is the only way I can think of that a hex blanket would have 3 motifs, if your blanket is even hexagonal.

Is there a pic of your blanket on the internet somewhere, if this isn't it?

Edited by Granny Square

Here is an example of the staggered motifs.  https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hexagon-kitty-blanket  This had 2 different  shaped in-between motifs: the hexagons are placed in the staggered way like "your" patten I posted above, except my earlier post's pic omitted the fill-in shapes.

This is the same hex placement as above, without the fill-in pieces; https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hexagon-honeycomb-stroller-blanket

Example of hexagons laid end to end with a 'between' motif, the second thing I described.  The third motif (not used in this example) would have been little triangles to keep the edges straight. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/blanket-of-roses-afghan

Edited by Granny Square

I thought you meant the page with the placement was blank, sorry I misunderstood you.

And the motifs look the same on the photo of the finished item, except there seems to be a few rows of border.

Unless...all of the INTERIOR ones are the same, and 1 of the extra motif patterns is for the motifs on the straight sides (with the edging on 1 side of the motif), and the other extra motif is for the 4 corners (with edging on 2 corners of the motif)?  Though you'd think the placement would show that...What made me think of that was it looked a little bit like there were longish 'join as you go' gaps in the edging area, which wouldn't be there if you made the edging after motif assembly.  Too bad the blanket is so artfully draped so we could see better, but that's all I can think of.  By looking at the other motifs, does it look like it's a possibility?  Or reading ahead to see how the border is made?  My only only uncertainty of that theory is that the border rows don't looked turned, which they'd have to be if the border was just made on 1 or 2 sides of the motif.

They all look the same to me lol - am I allowed to send you a copy of the pattern? Probably not right I think that's copyrighted etc. I don't know but I really appreciate all your help.  It's a gorgeous blanket and my sister lives sunflowers - I've had this pattern forever and finally decided to do it lol and now I don't understand it lol.  Maybe I can try to Google the designer or something.  Thank you again for all of your help and time!! 🥰

Greetings!!  I had this VERY SAME question!  The pattern does not indicate how many of the A, B or C motifs to make.  Further, the assembly graphic gives no direction as to placement of the various motifs.  

This pattern is carried by Annie's, so I reached out to them.  This was the response I received:

The motifs are join as you go. Motif A is only made once because it is the initial motif. Motifs B and C depend upon how many sides you are joining at one time. Motif B joins one side at a time and Motif C joins 3. You will use the diagram to determine which one would be next. I don’t think they label them so you can work in rows or columns as you see fit. Now the easy way around the madness is to just make 51 Motif As and then sew them all together. Then you don’t have to worry about which is which and what connects where.

My reply:

WOW, that seems so confusing!  I don't know how you were able to figure that out!

In reading thru the pattern, it appears that the motifs differ depending upon the "border" used for each motif, to join the motifs as you go??  

I like your idea of just making 51 motifs.

Her response:

Yes, that is why the borders of the motifs vary; you are joining as you go. Working the simple A motifs is probably the best way to go and then you can just sew them or join them using your preferred method. It will keep everything much more simple. I am used to see these types of patterns so that is how I know what was going on with the different ones. Joining as you go sounds nice and simple and removes the seaming steps but a lot of times it really does muddle the instructions.

Sincerely,

Britt Schmiesing

Pattern Services

I haven't even gotten that far. I've done the brown and have started on the gold and can't figure it out. A video would certainly help! I've crocheted all my life and want to make this for my granddaughter. She loves sunflowers.

Welcome to the 'ville, MrsBhamCat.  The links to see what the blanket looks like are not all working any more, but - in your pattern photo, do the petals look like they have a 'spine' in the middle?

Based on your description, it sounds like the technique you use to make an oval, only a petal doesn't go all the way around.

The concept - when you work across a chain, you have 3 ways to do it (1) back bump - I do not recommend this period, but it is especially inappropriate for working both sides of the chain (2) with the chain facing you, inserting the hook under the topmost loop - this works nicely (3) with the chain facing you, inserting the hook under the topmost loop and the back bump - this works OK because it does not pull the back bump tight like #2 does.

So, work across the chain using method 2 or 3, and (usually) make more than 1 stitch into the last chain which 'turns the corner'.  Next, with the same side still facing you, turn it so what was the underneath, free loop or loops of the chain are 'up', and work back to where you started into those free chain loops.

What I described above would make a petal or leaf shape. (if you were making an oval there'd be more going on at the beginning end to turn the corner and join it to the first stitch.)  If what I described is still confusing, there are many youtube videos on 'how to crochet an oval' that should help you see what is happening.

Ah!  Bgs and I hit post at the same time, she's provided a video so you don't have to look for one!

Edited by Granny Square