High Heel Baby Booties

Shawlmaker

Question

Hi, again! Hey, Granny Square! :D I purchased this new pattern: https://www.etsy.com/listing/271637368/pint-size-pumps-baby-high-heels-baby

It seems ridiculously simple, but I can't get past the first row in the shoe sole section. Here's how it goes--first issue in red:

SOLE

With 3.5 mm hook and yarn color of sole, Ch 7 (9)

Round 1: 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc 4 (6), 7 hdc in last ch. (working around end to other side of work), sc 4 (6), 2 sc in last. Join with sl st, ch 1 (19, 23 sts) After I sc 4, there is no last chain left for 2 sc. And for further complication, where do I join for the sl st? I know I'm supposed to do the marker, but don't actually know where to put the marker. :( Any advice?

Round 2: 2 sc in each of next 2 sts, sc 5 (7), 2 sc in each of next 2, [hdc, dc] in next, [dc, hdc] in next, 2 sc in each of next 2 sts, sc 5 (7), 2 sc in last. Join, ch 1 (28, 32 sts)

Round 3: sc 2, 2 sc in next, sc 9 (11), 2 sc in next, hdc, dc, hdc, 2 sc in next, sc 10 (12), 2 sc in last. Join, ch 2, TURN (32, 36 sts)

Round 4: hdc 32 (36) around, join, ch 1, TURN

shoe.PNG

soul1.PNG

4 answers to this question

First of all, that pattern is adorable!

I'm going to assume you're working the small size, and the numbers in () are the chains used with each step , to help with counting:

chain 7

skip 1 chain (1) 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook (1), sc4 (4), 7 hdc in last ch (1)  ---  the numbers in () add up to 7. 

The very first chain was a turning chain so we put stitches into 6 chains across the top side.  But, since we've stuffed so many hdc into the last chain to turn the corner, that chain has been filled to capacity top and bottom, and counts as the last chain of the topside and the first chain of the underside.  So, at this point there are 5 available underchains to work into.

sc 4 (4), 2 sc in last (1) --you've arrived back at the beginning of your round.  Join into the very first stitch you made into the top side of the chain, and that joining slip stitch is where you put your marker.

Hope this helps!

Well, after spending hours on this last night, I'm afraid this project is a no-go. :-( Despite using white yarn and permanent marker on loops, I just can't find the stitches.

I did learn one thing, [ ] and ( ) are both called brackets now. The "round brackets" used to be called parenthesis, so the directions didn't make sense since both brackets were used and not differentiated. What is the point of learning in school if everything is changed later?! Thanks again, GS!

Sorry to hear that.  There's supposed to be different crochet pattern 'grammar' for ( ) and [ ], but pattern writers don't always follow them.  

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern

Basically, if the designer is using CGOA standards, ( ) = do more than 1 thing in 1 stitch, [ ] = do stuff over multiple stitches and repeat that sequence x times

Archived