How to get these stitches to face same side each time on blanket?

DQfan937

Question

I'm working on a DIY "plaid" blanket I made up, but the simplest thing isn't working out. 

I just want the striped colors to be the same side of the stitch every time. So I did 5 rows of sc in burgundy, and then colored stripe, and then 3 rows sc main color in between each, and 5 rows sc burgundy at the top. I'm starting to go into blue now, with my 5 rows sc until I get to stripes, but it's going to work out where I'm going to see wrong side of these.. and so on. 

No matter if I change the spaces to even numbers.. that doesn't correct it. 

Probably missing something I shouldn't be, thank you!

Screenshot 2018-01-30 at 4.28.14 PM.png

2 answers to this question

I suggest getting a piece of paper, or spreadsheet and plotting this out so you don't keep ripping out (I tried something but it didn't work on the second repeat - unless you don't mind alternating an even and odd number of rows for the burgundy section).  I made a list of numbers for the rows, odd and even numbers being right and wrong side, and wrote the colors in to see where they fell.  

The only thing I can think of is to make the little rows 2 rows wide, instead of 1, so it won't matter as much (and hey, it would be completely reversible).  Or, make the little rows surface slip stitch (looks like a chain on the right side, and like - - - - - dashes on the wrong side).

Thanks Granny Square, I thought about just leaving it as is and letting it alternate as it will because it will be reversible with plaid, and with tartan stuff, there's different lines going on anyways. 

I thought about letting one color have less rows, but I don't know if I want to pull out this work. It's 200 something chains and it was redundant to even get this far hahah. 

I thought I was missing something obvious but I'm glad to know it would be something anyone would have to plan out.

55 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I suggest getting a piece of paper, or spreadsheet and plotting this out so you don't keep ripping out (I tried something but it didn't work on the second repeat - unless you don't mind alternating an even and odd number of rows for the burgundy section).  I made a list of numbers for the rows, odd and even numbers being right and wrong side, and wrote the colors in to see where they fell.  

The only thing I can think of is to make the little rows 2 rows wide, instead of 1, so it won't matter as much (and hey, it would be completely reversible).  Or, make the little rows surface slip stitch (looks like a chain on the right side, and like - - - - - dashes on the wrong side).

Archived