table cover

littlerose84

Question

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

Thread makes a lovely table cover, without being too bumpy. If you're not familiar with thread, choose thicker thread, size 3, 5 or 10. 

Do you want something that fits the top of the table or something that drapes over 2 sides or 4 sides? Take measurements of what you want.

Do you want a lacey crochet over solid fabric or solid crochet without fabric underneath? Figure out what look you like.

Next look at stitch patterns that match what you want. There are a lot of tablecloth and doily patterns. Most yarn patterns, including afghans and shawls, can be made out of thread. Make the pattern to your measurements, rather than the pattern instructions. 

If you want really solid, what about all sc or hdc? You can make it interesting with multiple colors. 

I agree with thread; really you don't want to use any yarn thicker than fingering weight using crochet for a table cover.  And, it wouldn't 'behave' as nicely as thread or a woven fabric tablecloth.

For a rectangle, I'd suggest finding a tablecloth or thread bedspread motif pattern, which are either square or round that you can  connect (usually "as you go" so you don't have to do any sewing) into the size and shape you need.  There's a bunch of vintage patterns here (listing of categories - look at bedspreads, runners, tablecloths) and here (listing by author or publisher - do a search [control f] on the same categories as previous].  Some of the motifs connect "as is", some non-square connect partly by a filler motif.

The advantage of motifs is that if you make a few and realize you will burn out before making a whole tablecloth, you can turn it it into a runner.  I'd be assembling the motifs with that in mind--I'm a threadie and wouldn't attempt a dining-table size tablecloth (old fingers' stamina and boredom-wise), but have done many 2' or so round dining table centerpieces.

Archived