Pattern help

Cloverangel317

Question

I'm having trouble with this pattern.20171111_161738.thumb.jpg.ee4d497e072b295a6730c835b9bf4df2.jpg

I don't normally read patterns, I always watch tutorials, but my mom asked for my help (and she is a seasoned crocheter) I think I'm on the right track, but I'm confused on the wording.

20171111_160258.thumb.jpg.4889cd284cda6d4d4a07693dc8d17259.jpg

I finished here at row 2, ch 4.... and then I think I'm going to do 3dc into the space i marked with an X and then ch1, but then what?  The purple stitch marker is the ch3 space from row 1.

20171111_160813.thumb.jpg.efa24a9795423c63f1e5f6ac0da97f72.jpg

9 answers to this question

That looks nice and warm.  The pattern starts sort of like a granny square, except will be more like a granny half square.

You are correct, the x marks the spot to make the first set of 3DC.

When you see an asterisk, it means "now it's going to tell you to repeat some number of steps following the asterisk".  It's writing row 2 a little more wordily than it needed to for that row, because you repeat row 2 16 more times (and the extra detail makes more sense on the following rows). 

The purple marker is marking the corner loop. 

So IN row 2, the next space is already the corner loop, and you make 3dc, ch3, 3dc all into that space.  In later rows, there will be more repeats of 3dc, chain 1 before you get to the corner space.

Now, the DOUBLE asterisk...is being used in a slightly different way than I've seen it before, but it's used here as sort of a notation to switch the repeats slighly as you go past the corner space, to explain what you need to do differently at the end of the row.

This sounds really complicated, but it's really simple.  What you are doing is making 3 DC and a chain into each space except the corner loop, making 3 dc, ch3, 3dc into the corner loop, and then continue with 3DC and chain 1 to the end.  The number of 3 DC, ch1  groups increases each row.

If you are comfortable with watching videos, to get the general concept you might want to find one for doing a granny square for the general concept.  A granny square is worked in rounds and has 4 corners, you are doing half a square, with 1 corner.  

Here's something handy for help in reading crochet patterns in general https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Not meaning to confuse you, but here is a diagram of a whole granny square that is similar to what you are doing.  This shows a version with 3 chains in the corners, but no chains between the sets of 3 DCs that form the sides.  https://crochetagain.com/2012/08/12/mitered-granny-square-diagram/

Mentally draw a diagonal line across the diagram.  Your line will cross 2 corners (ignore the corner chains).  You are making the rest, but the beginning and end is slightly different.  In this diagram, the ovals are chains and the T with a cross is a DC.

So IN row 2, the next space is already the corner loop, and you make 3dc, ch3, 3dc all into that space.  In later rows, there will be more repeats of 3dc, chain 1 before you get to the corner space.

okay, I did this into the corner space after a ch1... 20171112_155511.thumb.jpg.72fbd38f7297503884a3b2b45b030556.jpg

And it is still confusing me because it says to corner space...  is this where I ch1 and turn... or do i continue in the ch spaces with 3dc, ch1, 1dc around until I get back to the corner space? Also... is my corner space going to remain the exact same space?... or does it change to the ch3 I put into the originating corner space.

Again, I don't normally read patterns, I'm sorry. With granny squares, I'm used to continuing on without turning my work, so this is throwing me off a bit. I'e been searching tutorials to show me where to go next, but nothing with bandana scarves in the name look anything like this. 

Here is what it looks like partly thru row 4, just having completed the corner space.  I've roughly outlined each 3DC group on 1 side of the corner space, and the single dc at the turning edge, color coded by rows, if that helps.  The piece is turned at the bottom corners.

scan0010a.jpg

I neglected to say, in your second in-process photo it doesn't look like you turned.  I'm sorry if I confused you by comparing it to a granny square -- your pattern is very closely related, but not worked in the round.  It's half a square, turn, half a square, turn.  

If it helps you to picture it, the 'corner space', although it resembles a granny square corner, would be called a 'spine' in most shawl patterns.  It's the middle of the shawl, where increase are made.  In my above photo, the bottom is the top straight edge that is under the model's chin in the pattern pic.

Archived