Pattern explanation

Fayerosanne

Question

Hello,

I am trying to learn how to crochet to make a doll for my niece but I do not understand part of the pattern. I have made both legs and at the end of the second leg (to create the body) it says to chain 4 then double crochet in each stitch of the first leg then chain 4 again and double crochet round the other leg. But when I have done this it leaves a gap and I am not sure if I have understood it correctly. Please can anyone advise how it should be done?

Thank you,

Faye

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

7 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!   

it may be that the chains are intended to create a gap.  how many stitches are in each of the legs?  at the end of round 1 it says you should have 32 dc; I am wondering if there are 16 stitches in each leg, or if you have to count the chain 4 sections to get 32 sts.  

also what is the name and source of the pattern?  

I was also thinking that the 2 sets of 4 chains were to create a gap between the legs (hip to hip direction), and the torso would be made across the legs and the chains (with some sewing together later), but it doesn't say to work into the chains.   This would make sense to give the doll 'hips'.

I'm not any help here as I'm confused as well.  Are there in-process photos in the pattern which show the legs spaced a little apart, or tight together?

Hello, Thank you both for your replies! There are twelve stitches in each leg so I think the 32 stitches is including the two lots of 4 chains. And it would make sense that it is for the hips from looking at the pictures in the book. I am a bit confused as I can't see anywhere in the pattern saying to sew up that bit so I am not how the stuffing would stay in. The pattern is from a book called My Crochet Doll and attached are some of the pictures. 

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

I'd stitch it up at the end; maybe they're leaving the hole for now to help with stuffing her body.  Some patterns with lots of pieces, have notes about finishing up all the little bits at the very end of the pattern--maybe look there, but even if not I'd sew it up.  I might leave it if it were 1 or maybe 2 stitches, but 4 is a bit of a gap.

Archived