Matinee coat help

Sherri Hicks

Question

5 answers to this question

When I join a new yarn to a new spot, I don't put a slip knot on the hook:  I insert the hook into the stitch which is the rejoin spot, pull up a loop (pulling the yarn tail thru the loop as well, then snugging the loop back to 'working size"), and then (usually) make a chain or chains from there (depending on what comes next) to start crocheting again. 

Really, the only other way I can think of to dive in and join a new piece of yarn in a new spot is to do a 'standing stitch'.  This starts with a slip knot on the hook, and you make a stitch without chaining up first.  I'm just mentioning it but don't want to confuse you, because the pattern isn't calling for that.

What I tried to describe is really just the start of a slip stitch, the difference is if you made a slip stitch into the middle of an existing piece of work you'd "be attached to something", and have a loop on your hook.   My description 'attached' the partial slip stitch by pulling the tail thru the loop, and put a loop on the hook.  As I said, it's an attachment not a complete stitch so you'd have to make 1 or more more chains and go on with your work from that point (like, 3 chains would count as a US DC, 1 chain + SC in the same spot, etc).

The video is a little different, in that it starts with a knot on the hook, and the knot ends up in your stitch.  Both ways work fine, but I prefer not having a knot where you really don't need one.  Once you weave in the tail, they are both just as secure.

I'm not sure if I just missed it (very possible), or if you edited your post to ask about pulling the tail thru the loop after I answered.

When you pull the tail thru the loop that you pulled thru the fabric, it actually secures the tail from pulling out (try it--If you pull the tail after doing this, it actually tightens it up.).  You do have to pull the hook out of the loop for a moment to do this, but then you put it back to continue. 

Archived