Lily n cream granny squares bag questions

catwoman

Question

Hi.:)I was wondering what is means when it says sew 4 misfits tog for front and back ? :(and what does this mean - place ws of back and front tog.:(? join McDonald's at top left corner and work 1 row of sc around opposite corner to join 3 sides of bag?:(also what does this mean -top edging-with rs of work facing join mc at seam?what does this mean (with rs of work facing join mc at seam.I know this is a lot of questions for this pattern(lily cream granny square bag that I need help with in interesting it:(

5 answers to this question

Hi, you have 2 threads started on this bag pattern, I answered your question on how to sew the motifs together on the other thread.

I'm going to assume 'misfits' means motifs (don't you just love autocorrect?)  When you want to seam something with a right and wrong side, if you make the seam with the right sides together, the wrong sides are the seam or "ugly" side.  Sewing with the  wrong sides out means the right side will be the nice looking side.  This depends on the type of seam you're doing, in the case of the mattress seam I suggested on the other post, you actually want to have the right sides facing you, because the mattress stitch sort of disappears and you want to be able to see that this happens correctly.

Your pattern is suggesting that you sc the seams together - actually for a bag, that's going to take some stress at the seams, sc is probably a better/sturdier choice than mattress stitch or join as you go.

oops, Hi Magic!

Is this your pattern? http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/granny-square-bags.html?id=184364

Easiest way to sc these together would be in 2 seams for each each side of the bag - one horizontal, one vertical.  Put 2 squares with right sides together, sc them together at one edge,  don't cut the yarn.  Now, line 2 more squares together next to where you left off, and keep sc'ing across, so you have 4 squares connected in 1 direction, with 1 seam.  Cut the yarn, weave in.  Now, fold in half 90 degrees from where you made the first seam, and sc the squares across in the other direction so they're connected in a + shaped seam pattern.

Just in case I totally confused you, here is a diagram, sort of exaggerated. 

Red=right side, pink=wrong side.  Green is the first sc seam.

In 'real life', the gap in the center wouldn't be there, I just put it there so you could see the right sides together.  You'd want the motifs butted together in the center with no gap, ready to be sewn together with the second (vertical, from this point of view) seam.

sew across 2 motifs.png

Archived