Pattern Clothes Sizes Questions

catwoman

Question

Hi. :)  I was wondering if a person could change a pattern measurements or the pattern or gauge like a sweater to fit a larger woman?    :(    

could a person do that with any pattern like change it to match your larger size or sizes to fit you?.:lol                                                                             
     Thanks. I 'd like your guys thoughts or opinions on this . :yes:ghug

3 answers to this question

it can be done.  i think you need to be comfortable trying it on frequently and ripping it back if needed for adjustment.  well, come to think of it, I think that is important in making any garment! ;-)  

there are a few references about doing this that might be helpful.  if you have a specific pattern(s) in mind, tell us which ones.  

there are also a couple of books featuring patterns for plus sizes, have you seen those?  I can't recall if the ones i've seen include much info on adjusting though.  Marly Bird has a craftsy class on plus size crochet.  

Japanese company Pierrot yarns offers lots of free pattern in one size.  they have a reference of places within a top to add width.  its at the bottom of page here, click to get the pdf http://gosyo.shop.multilingualcart.com/free1.php

There isn't a magic formula, like "add 5% more stitches and rows for each size up".  There are too many variables, styles. stitch patterns; and things like--if you are plus size it doesn't mean you are taller and your arms are longer for example.  Really, your best bet is if you can't find something in exactly the right size, to find something in a close size and tweak.  

What I do, even though I use patterns that cover my size--I lay out an existing similar garment (that fits me nicely around, arms & body are the right length for me etc) and compare it as I go, but it's usually more of a gauge check thing.  Garment-to-project comparison would also be helpful if you are tweaking on the fly.  This isn't better than trying on which is also important, but if you are working a seamed garment, it's hard to try it on until it's much farther along.  Working on the back piece for example, you can tell after a couple of inches comparing it to a garment if you need to rip and rethink.

Archived