Heeeey I really need help decoding a pattern!

Comfymum

Question

I am hoping that someone out here can give me the right nudge I need to get past a bit a of a stuck place I am in! The pattern reads like so... "1 ch, sl st across 3 sts, (sl st, 1 ch, 1 dc) in next st, 18 dc, turn.  start with 25 stitches end with 19!

Help anyone?

xxx

6 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

Slip stitching across stitches is like skipping stitches. It's used to get you from where you're at to where you need to be. They don't count as stitches. 

What you are doing is called a short row. That means that you're crocheting in some, but not all of the previous row. 

The first 3 sl st skip over 3 stitches. 

The sl st, ch1 put you at the right place (4th stitch) and right height.

Next do 19 dc stitches, starting in the 4th stitch and ending in the 22nd stitch. 

Turn means that you're skipping the last 3 stitches. 

So, skip 3, 19 dc, skip 3 = 25 - 6 = 19.

I assume that you're doing a UK pattern. Since the height of a UK dc is 1 chain high. In the US the same stitch is called an sc.

Also glad it makes sense now, but just fyi- the pattern writer was very clear, if a bit redundant (but clear is good!).  When you see (x, y, z) in parentheses, it means to do all that stuff into 1 stitch.  Here's a little guide that might help, scroll down for parentheses  https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Archived