Pattern Help

Britters

Question

I'm brand new to crochet. I have a beginners book to help me with stiches. I decided to take on a pattern and I'm lost! I've gotten to Row 2. Here is where I'm struggling:

1. The pattern says to work "FPtr around next dc".

What does working around a dc mean?

How do I work around it? 

Thank you in advance for your help!!

1502333847650341990823.jpg

4 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville from me, too!

You said that you're a beginner. Is this your first pattern? If yes, I highly recommend making something easier first, then building up to a project with advanced stitches, like posts. The reason is because learning to run before learning to crawl or walk can frustrate you to the point of giving up. It's easier to get proficient at the basics first, and then add to your skills. 

Patterns come in 4 levels, beginner, easy, advanced and difficult. Most patterns in books and places like red heart and lion brand will have the skill level at the top of the pattern. I recommend doing at least a few of the beginner and then a few of the easy, before jumping into advanced.

You can make a lot of things with beginner patterns, like dishcloths, scarfs, coasters, can cozies, baskets and afghans. 

If you find yourself struggling, please consider trying a beginner pattern. Whatever you decide, good luck! We're here to help!

^Excellent advice above.  Another good idea, for newbies as well as oldies, is to scan through the pattern before you start to see if you run in to something new, and if you do perhaps swatching it (make a small practice piece with the a new stitch).  Many published patterns have a list of 'special' stitches and describe how to make them, sometimes at the back of the pattern.  Or if this is a 'how to' book, stitches might be in an appendix in the back?  I'm thinking a beginner/how-to book would teach you the stitches, then have patterns that use those stitches so you can practice with them. 

Archived