Need help with pattern

Dr De

Question

I started this baby sweater pattern (niece is expecting a baby girl in October) and I ran into problems with the body. Somehow I stitched up the sleeve section. Can anyone help with the underlined section with the question mark next to you? Thanx

1501913029350662190657.jpg

9 answers to this question

Welcome to the Ville!  We really aren't supposed to post photos of patterns as it violates the pattern copyright, see forum guidelines in town hall section.

what do you mean when you say you stitched up the sleeve?  With a top down yoke Cardi like this there always is a point where you do a row that separates the sleeves out.  You stitch across a front part of the body, skip a number of stitches that will begin the sleeve, stitch across the back half of the body, skip sts for second sleeve, then stitch across second front.  Is that what you're asking about?  

Welcome to Crochetville from me, too!

I agree with Magic. You"ll need to remove the 2 pattern pics. You're allowed to type the row where you're confused and 1-2 rows beforehand, if they'll help.

Magic described what row 1 under body part is doing. Looking at your project pic, you didn't follow the instructions. So, I'm going to assume that row is the confusing one. I'm going to spell out what Magic described. 

Ch1, sc in next 13 (14) dc: this is working across the first pary of yhe front. 

Ch5: this creates the foundation chain for the underarm part of the sleeve. 

Skip (ch1 & next 24 (26) dc): this skips the stitches that form the top cap of yhe sleeve.

Note: I'm having trouble seeing, so the next parts aren't going to match the print. 

Sc in next X stitches, including sc in the ch1s: this is working across the back. Your first sc will look funny, because the ch 5 isn't long enough to stretch across 24/26 skipped stitches. It looks like pinching the front & back together. 

I have to sign off. I hope between what Magic described and the part I detailed that it makes sense now. Please let us know and show us a pic afterwards. 

The first time I did a top down yoke/sleeve like this, my reaction was what??? followed by 'this is pure genius!' when I could see where the pattern was going.  I can't quite see text of the part in question on my monitor, but the generic process of how to make this sort of transition was well described above.

From the shape of the piece that you made, it looks like you are on the right track but I can't tell what you mean by stitching up the sleeve section, unless you just kept going too far on the shoulder?  Below is a diagram of what this should generically look like on a top-down cardigan.  The red lines are the increases that define the fronts, back and shoulders.  I'm assuming that the row where you make the chains for the underarm starts at the right front (I probably should have drawn this upside down to be closer to the way you'd be seeing it as you stitched, but I hope it's clear).  The blue line on the right is the chain for the underarm which starts at the first underarm decrease line.  The green dashes show the area of  skipped stitches, these skipped stitches plus the chain is the armhole opening. The green x mark the end of the underarm chain and where it joins to the red next shoulder increase line.  The armhole will form a big fold of fabric.  Then, working across the back (in the diagram, right to left), you do the same thing, (make the blue underarm chain which links the back shoulder increase line to the front shoulder increase line).  Then you continue to the front opening.

In the next row (starting the body section), you will be working over fewer stitches than you were before, because you'll not be working over the stitches in the green area of the diagram.  This is the row where it starts to look like a sweater and not like a weird doily.

YOKE TO SLEEVE TRANSITION.jpg

10 hours ago, magiccrochetfan said:

Welcome to the Ville!  We really aren't supposed to post photos of patterns as it violates the pattern copyright, see forum guidelines in town hall section.

what do you mean when you say you stitched up the sleeve?  With a top down yoke Cardi like this there always is a point where you do a row that separates the sleeves out.  You stitch across a front part of the body, skip a number of stitches that will begin the sleeve, stitch across the back half of the body, skip sts for second sleeve, then stitch across second front.  Is that what you're asking about?  

Thanx! I didn't know about the patterns. Yes, I'm asking about row 1:

Row 1: ch1, sc in next 13 dc, ch5, skip (ch1 and next 24 dc), sc in next 29 sts

The "skip" and what's in the parentheses is what I have issue with.

13 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

The first time I did a top down yoke/sleeve like this, my reaction was what??? followed by 'this is pure genius!' when I could see where the pattern was going.  I can't quite see text of the part in question on my monitor, but the generic process of how to make this sort of transition was well described above.

From the shape of the piece that you made, it looks like you are on the right track but I can't tell what you mean by stitching up the sleeve section, unless you just kept going too far on the shoulder?  Below is a diagram of what this should generically look like on a top-down cardigan.  The red lines are the increases that define the fronts, back and shoulders.  I'm assuming that the row where you make the chains for the underarm starts at the right front (I probably should have drawn this upside down to be closer to the way you'd be seeing it as you stitched, but I hope it's clear).  The blue line on the right is the chain for the underarm which starts at the first underarm decrease line.  The green dashes show the area of  skipped stitches, these skipped stitches plus the chain is the armhole opening. The green x mark the end of the underarm chain and where it joins to the red next shoulder increase line.  The armhole will form a big fold of fabric.  Then, working across the back (in the diagram, right to left), you do the same thing, (make the blue underarm chain which links the back shoulder increase line to the front shoulder increase line).  Then you continue to the front opening.

In the next row (starting the body section), you will be working over fewer stitches than you were before, because you'll not be working over the stitches in the green area of the diagram.  This is the row where it starts to look like a sweater and not like a weird doily.

YOKE TO SLEEVE TRANSITION.jpg

Just now, Dr De said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This is exactly how my project looks thus far! I guess I couldn't see the "shape" yet; but your explanation is PERFECT! Now I understand! Thanks to all!

23 minutes ago, Dr De said:

skip (ch1 and next 24 dc)

it may look confusing because of the parentheses, but it just means exactly what it says---skip the next chain and 24 dc sts.  Skip means "skip over", in other words don't do anything in those stitches.    

I absolutely love GrannySquare's drawing!  Makes it so much easier to understand.  

Granny Square's wonderful drawings to the rescue again!  :)

I'm glad it makes sense to you now.  I apologize for starting an explanation and then having to leave.  I was on my phone and starting having eye issues, so I couldn't see what I was typing. 

Archived