Help with crochet pattern

Janewalker

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the Ville!  Where there's a list of numbers, each number is for a different size.  The ones in parentheses at end of row are the stitch count in the row for each size.  

The abbreviations such as sc2tog should be explained at the beginning of the pattern, or in a glossary if it's in a book.  

What else do you want to know?  

^What she said.  At the beginning of the pattern, it should give the sizes and/or the measurements for each of those 5 numbers (child size 2, 4, 6, 8,10 or women's bust size 32, 36, 40,44,48 for example)  I always work with a printed copy (not digital...I like to make notes), and when there are more than 2 or 3 sizes, before starting the project I circle the size I want to make for each string of numbers like that appear - like circling the middle number if I'm making a child's size 6 in my earlier example.

Welcome to Crochetville! Since Magic and Granny Square aleady answered about the sizes, I'm going to answer about the pattern (in case that's what you want. )

I assume you've made the garment in the size you want and are down to making the hood. The pattern looks like you ended at the neck. This hood is made by making stitches around the backside of the neck, turning and coming back. Odd rows are the wrong side (inside) and even rows are on the right side (outside.)

Row 1: ch 1, turn. Do X number of sc stitches. You should be 2 stitches from the middle of the back. Do a decrease  (sc2tog) in the next 2 stitches. Do another decrease in the following 2 stitches.  Do the same number of sc stitches to get to the other side.

Row 2: ch 2, turn. Do 1 hdc. Alternate skip, 2 hdc in the same stitch until you have 1 stitch left. Do 1 hdc in the last stitch. 

Row 3: repeat row 1, except that the number of sc stitches is 1 less stitch on each side of the decreases. (This is due to decreasing twice in row 1.)

I hope something that someone wrote helps! Please let us know. :)

ETA: Please provide the link to the pattern.  It really helps us out a lot.  Also, are you on the hood?  If not, where are you in the pattern?

Archived