Wendy

Wendy Taylor

Question

8 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

The proper area for help is either in the General Crochet Help or the Crochet Stitch Help sections.  What are you making?  Do you have a link to the pattern?  Knowing what you're making helps us to help you.

I've only seen dc2tog over five as dc5tog.  (I looked it up and the description is the same for both.)  Here are the instructions for any dc together, regardless of how many times...

1. Yarn over, insert your hook in the next stitch (or specified stitch) and draw up a loop. Yarn over and draw through 2 loops.  (This is the start of a DC.  Don't do the last step.  2 loops on hook.)
  2. Yarn over, insert your hook in the next stitch (or specified stitch) and draw up a loop. Yarn over and draw through 2 loops. (Add 1 loop on hook.)
  3. Repeat step 2 as many times as needed.  For example, over 5 or dc5tog, step 1 is once, step 2 is twice, repeat step 2 3 more times to get 5 times.
  4. Yarn over and draw through all of the loops on your hook.  For example, over 5 or dc5tog, draw through 6 loops on your hook.

Here's a video that shows how ...

21 minutes ago, redrosesdz said:

Welcome to Crochetville!

The proper area for help is either in the General Crochet Help or the Crochet Stitch Help sections.  What are you making?  Do you have a link to the pattern?  Knowing what you're making helps us to help you.

I've only seen dc2tog over five as dc5tog.  (I looked it up and the description is the same for both.)  Here are the instructions for any dc together, regardless of how many times...

1. Yarn over, insert your hook in the next stitch (or specified stitch) and draw up a loop. Yarn over and draw through 2 loops.  (This is the start of a DC.  Don't do the last step.  2 loops on hook.)
  2. Yarn over, insert your hook in the next stitch (or specified stitch) and draw up a loop. Yarn over and draw through 2 loops. (Add 1 loop on hook.)
  3. Repeat step 2 as many times as needed.  For example, over 5 or dc5tog, step 1 is once, step 2 is twice, repeat step 2 3 more times to get 5 times.
  4. Yarn over and draw through all of the loops on your hook.  For example, over 5 or dc5tog, draw through 6 loops on your hook.

21 minutes ago, redrosesdz said:

Welcome to Crochetville!

The link didn't work for me.  Is this the right pattern?  http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/woodland-waves-throw.html

i believe it means to start the dc2 tog then skip three sts and put the second leg in the fourth st.  This way there are five sts involved.  And it is the inverse of the inc  where you dc, ch three, dc, all into one st.  In a ripple the hills an valleys have to mirror each other.  

I agree with Magiccrochetfan, in this particular pattern....although DC5tog is functionally the same, it would spoil the eyelet appearance of that row.

The hilltop in your pattern is (dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch (so, you are increasing 4 stitches by making 5 into 1).  The valley is dc2tog-over-5, which is the same as Magic described.  This is a decrease of 4 stitches, because you are reducing 5 into 1.

Archived