Donna Junghen

Donna Junghen

Question

4 answers to this question

Well, a chain has 3 loops.  If you look at it so the chain-looking part is facing you, there is a top loop and a bottom loop.  If you turn it over, a third loop, more commonly called the 'back bump', faces you,

You can stitch into a chain 3 ways:

1) with chain side facing you, into the top loop

2) with chain side facing you, into the top loop and back bump (leaving the bottom loop free)

3) with back bump facing you, into the back bump.

I'm going to guess that the base of the chain means the back bump, but that's just a guess.  Usually it doesn't really matter functionally how you use the chain, but the back bump looks better BUT also pulls a little tight, so it's a good idea to make the chain with a bigger sized hook then switch to the 'right' size for the rest of the piece.

hi Donna, welcome to the ville!

I think we need to know more about the context of this.  please tell us the name and location of the pattern, or whatever other reference it is from.

my first thought when i see "crochet into base of chain" is that it is talking about the beginning of a new row, after you've made your turning chain, and you are to crochet into the base of that.  

Welcome to Crochetville!

Is this what you're looking for?  It's called "How to Crochet into the Base of a Chain."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4_181ke7AQ

(You'll have to copy and paste the link to go to it.  I tried to do the link and got an error.)

Archived