Trouble reading pattern

Kayleigh

Question

Hi guys 

I'm recently new to crochet and I'm struggling to read a pattern and I'm wondering if you guys could simplify it for me 

Round 1

Ch 2, 8 hdc into magic circle. (8)

Round 2

2 hdc into each of the next 8 stitches. (16) 

Round 3

*hdc, hdc 2 times in next stitch,** repeat from * to ** 7 times. (24) 

Round 4

*2 hdc, hdc 2 times in the next stitch,** repeat from * to ** 7 times. (32) 

I'm fine with rounds 1 and 2 but struggling to read 3 and 4 

7 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville and to crocheting!

Normally, the first thing I ask is what are you making and do you have a link to the pattern?  However, what you typed is a standard flat circle.

Round 1:

1. Ch 2 - this creates a chain + a chain for a "magic circle."  (If you google magic circle, you'll see that there are many ways to do one.)  Basically, it's an adjustable ring that will expand when you add stitches.  When you're done with the round, you can pull on the tail to tighten the hole closed. 
  2. 8 hdc into magic circle - In the 2nd chain from the hook (the first chain you made in step 1), make 8 half-double crochet stitches. For every hdc in this round, yarn over, then insert your hook in the chain.  Then finish the stitch.  The chain will expand as you add stitches.  The stitches will naturally form a circle.  Hint: capture the beginning yarn tail under the stitches as you make them.  The (8) is your stitch count, not an instruction.

Round 2:

1. 2 hdc into each of the next 8 stitches - When you finish the 8 stitches in round 1, pull the tail to close the hole in the middle.  The last stitch will now be next to the first stitch that you made.  Make 2 hdc stitches in the top of the first hdc that you made in round 1, step 2.  Keep making 2 hdc stitches in the top of each round 1's hdc stitch.  This is called an increase (2 stitches in the top of one stitch.)  The (16) is your stitch count, not an instruction.

Round 3:

1. *hdc, hdc 2 times in next stitch, ** repeat from * to ** 7 times - Make an hdc in the top of round 2's first hdc stitch.  Make 2 hdc (an increase) in the top of round 2's 2nd hdc stitch.  Keep making 1 hdc, then 2 hdc the whole way around.  The (24) is your stitch count, not an instruction.

Here's a link for making circles:

https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/10/crochet-a-flat-circle/

*** IMPORTANT ***

COUNT YOUR STITCHES AT THE END OF EACH ROUND!!!!!  If it's not the right count, rip it out and do the round over.  Use a stitch counter or pen & paper to keep track of your round count.

After round 1, mark the first stitch in each round.  You can do this with a stitch marker and move it up each round, or you can do a running stitch marker and pull it out at the end.  It is extremely easy to lose where one round ends and the next begins.  Marking the rounds is critical.

Running Stitch Marker:

1. Get a piece of scrap yarn in a contrasting color.  6"-12" long.
  2. Lay one end of the scrap yarn across the project before the first stitch in round 2.
  3. Make round 2's first stitch, capturing the scrap yarn under the stitch.
  4. Flip the scrap yarn over the project before the first stitch in round 3.
  5. Make round 3's first stitch, capturing the scrap yarn under the stitch.
  6. Keeping flipping the scrap yarn over and capturing under the first stitch in every round.
  7. Pull it out when you're done with all of the rounds.

Note: The scrap yarn will spiral to the right (right-handed crocheting) or to the left (left-handed crocheting.)  This is normal, because crochet stitches slant.  If your scrap yarn is not spiraling smoothly.  You made a mistake.  Rip back to where it spirals smoothly.

The way you make a flat circle is, you start with round 1 with a certain number of stitches depending on which stitch it is - for HDC, typically 8 or 9.

Then, you ADD that number (8 in your case) to each subsequent round.

Round 2, you add 8 by increasing in every stitch.

Round 3, you add 8 by increasing in every second stitch (so increases with a plain stitch between).

Round 4, you add 8 by increasing in every third stitch (so increases with 2 plain stitches between).

See the pattern developing?

With each round after #2, you add a plain stitch between each increase.  (Have you increased before?  To increase 1 stitch, you put 2 stitches into 1 stitch)

Round 1 has 8 stitches

Round 2 has 16 by increasing in each stitch (so you could say 0 plain stitches between increases)

Round 3 has 24 by putting 1 plain stitch between increases

Round 4 has 32 by putting 2 plain stitches between increases

Round 5 has 40 by putting 3 plain stitches between increases

Round 6 has 48 by putting 4 plain stitches between increases

...I'm assuming you are making a plain flat circle, of course the pattern could change to something lacy/different after the part of the pattern that you posted.  But see what I meant about the pattern developing?

Hi Kayleigh, welcome to the ville!

I just want to say that the pattern could have been more clearly written.  It says for example "2 hdc, hdc 2 times in the next stitch".  To be more clear they could have said "hdc in each of the next two stitches, hdc two times in the next stitch" .  

here's a reference on how to understand the asterisks, parentheses, and other punctuation you will find in written patterns http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html   (It seems to me that in the pattern you're using, they didn't need to use the double asterisks at all, and could have simply put one at the beginning and one at the end of the part you repeat around.)

Archived